After 48 hours, I had a nifty graph showing me the temperature inside each cooler on a minute-by-minute basis -- and the difference from cooler to cooler was striking.Â. The Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee keeps a running list of certified options, which includes a number of coolers from this rundown. Spirits snobs can groan about vodka all they want—the clear spirit has maintained its status as America’s most popular spirit since 1976. Here are 13 top-rated beverage coolers … If that's what you're hoping for, your best bet might be to turn to Kickstarter and Indiegogo, where expensive, gadgety mega-coolers like the Coolest Cooler and the Infinite Cooler live in infamy. Better yet, the bag can keep ice cold for 32 hours (even in scorching, 90-degree temperatures). A great British vodka. And can any of the cheaper ones keep up? 3/4. Not quite so much. Editor’s Pick: Best Hard Cooler. Looking for a rotomolded value? itsallstirfryinthend / flag if inappropriate. My go for coolers is Mike's Hard Lemonades. Want us to test out soft-sided coolers? Chief among your options are a growing number of heavy-duty, "rotomolded" coolers that deliver superior insulation to traditional coolers, but they tend to cost a lot more than you might be used to paying for a cooler -- even hundreds of dollars more. But vodka … The key to this delicious-tasting refreshing Homemade Low Carb Lime Vodka Cooler is fresh limes and good vodka. It packs away 18 cans and more: a storage compartment in the lid means you can toss in your keys, cell phone, wine opener, or more when you’re on the go. Something else to think about: whether or not your cooler is sturdy enough to sit on, something that comes in handy when you're out camping. After 24 hours, the Yeti was the only cooler with any ice left in it at all, and at the end of the test, it was the only model that hadn't returned to room temperature yet. Americans drink more vodka than any other spirit, although whiskey has been gaining ground in recent years. Bottle holders on the side of the backpack hold water bottles or umbrellas. She is based in Toronto. Seagram Cider is crafted with 100% … The big differentiator that you'll hear a lot about as you shop for a cooler is "ice retention" -- specifically, how long a cooler can keep a full load of ice frozen. If it doesn’t hold up to its promise, Coleman offers a six-year warranty on the product. And this cooler isn’t your average outdoor accouterment—there is a mobile device stand for watching movies or playing songs from your tablet, and its Ultratherm and cool-rising technology keeps frosty air circulating through the cooler. The new, expensive options all hang their hat on this test, with rotomolded coolers specifically designed to ace it (and in doing so, justify their price tags). The main zippered compartment is secured with a thick strap, and a handy shoulder strap, that’s also cushioned and adjustable, means you can carry it anywhere you please without the repercussions of sore shoulders. This bag is also one of the most spacious soft coolers on the market, with room for 50 cans (or 30 quarts) with ice. It was a top-five performer in my tests, essentially tying the excellent Igloo MaxCold while also offering a significant step up in build quality.Â. If anything, the cheaper models were mostly conservative in their estimates, with ones like the Coleman Xtreme and Igloo Latitude wheeled coolers coming in several quarts more sizable than advertised. The 1-year warranty is shorter than you'll get with most other rotomolded options, but if you just want a rotomolded cooler with the most capacity for the cash, it fits the bill. That's 13.5 percent bigger than advertised. Gluten Free: Yes. Igloo’s no-frills, 12-quart cooler contains all you’ll need for a quick, weekend getaway. This particularly petite cooler boasts all the capabilities of larger items in the YETI line, like ColdLock Gasket technology, keeping items ice-cold for over a day. The Lifetime cooler isn't rotomolded, but that's the kind of aesthetic that it offers. Go on, read through the comments on the Infinite Cooler's Indiegogo campaign, which blew through a March ship date with nothing to show for it. The Igloo container can be reused with care—just empty and air dry after use. The best we've seen from a pure performance standpoint comes from Yeti -- but the extra-thick walls of that heavy-duty cooler mean that you're getting seriously shortchanged on inches and capacity (more on that in just a bit). I'll add that the Pelican cooler is one of the only models we've tested that comes with a lifetime warranty. The keto diet may aid weight loss and improve health, but you may wonder how to fit alcohol into this way of eating. On top of that, I like the included removable fabric wagon bin and the plastic dry bin that helps you keep your food and beverages separate from wet ice. FAIR drizly.com. And the worst? Plus, an ergonomic strap won’t rub or chafe as you carry it. is three SmartPoints for one 1.5 oz serving. The MaxCold's plasticky build and dated design aren't anything fancy to look at, but it covers the basics by including a drainage spout and a latch for the lid (not every cooler in this price range does). Use an easy chill bag to BYOB to picnics, sunset hikes, or a dinner party with your Champagne pre-chilled. This tote bag holds everything you’ll need for a low-cost cooler—its sturdy construction (9 x 15 x 15 inches) carries nine bottles of water or 12 bottles of wine, with treated liners that resist the usual odors and mold that come with carrying food and beverages. This YETI cooler is a pint-sized powerhouse: at 14 x 14 x 19 inches, it’s large enough to carry the bare necessities (a few bottles of wine, a solid 16 cans of beer, a full picnic of snacks), yet small enough that it’s not as cumbersome as larger coolers. Stick with an old-fashioned cooler like the ones I recommend above, and that isn't something you'll need to worry about. If there's enough reader interest, I'll test them all out down the road and update this post accordingly.Â. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links. This Polar Bear option is made of luggage-grade nylon with double-stitched detailing, meaning it can bear rugged conditions. Think of this as your go-to bag for casual weekend adventures. The brand’s ‘have a seat’ construction means the cooler even doubles as a bench (holding up to 250 pounds). After all, with the quantity of ice being equal, a 70-quart cooler like the Coleman Xtreme Marine Cooler has a bigger job on its hands than the 48-quart Igloo Island Breeze. I also took each cooler's design and features into consideration as I tested, and kept an eye out for durability concerns. A rotomolded construction means that through all the bumps and scrapes (think dinging it on a tailgate), the cooler remains indestructible. review process here. It only promises 12 hours of ice retention, and at 18 quarts, it doesn't offer room for much more than six cans or so -- but hey, that's still enough for a quick day trip to the beach with a buddy. Best for: Best of British. Today they employ high-performance materials and are designed using computer programs to … Most of the coolers that I tested were, but some took things even further. … veuillez noter que nous ne livrons pas À l'extÉrieur de … Some were able to do more with that measly helping of ice than others -- particularly the Yeti cooler, which kept the ambient temperature colder than any other cooler I tested for longer than any other cooler I tested. While that may sound like a recipe for back problems, the carrying straps are designed to hold the weight of all the cans, bottles, and ice you’ll need. Kate Dingwall is a seasoned beverage writer, with work appearing on Wine Enthusiast, Tales of the Cocktail, and others. Here's everything I learned, starting with the coolers I think you should rush out and buy before your next camping trip or big family gathering. Each cooler lid contains four molded-in side handles and four cup holders. Whether you're taking shots or making a mixed drink, you can … I did my best to account for those size differences as I evaluated each cooler's relative performance, but first, I needed to be sure that I had accurate measurements. ... Best with half reg. You can find more design quibbles like these in my individual reviews of each cooler. There are two cup holders on top for your beer, which also self-drains away any excess moisture. Looking for something eye-catching that'll stand out the next time you're tailgating? My only qualm -- that T-shaped handlebar includes comfy rubber grips on the sides, but not in the middle, the spot you'll actually want to hold as you lug it around. The latches and hinges felt flimsy, they both lack a drain, and neither one performed any better than a cheap Styrofoam cooler from the gas station.Â. After several weeks of hands-on testing and countless ambient temperature readings, we were ready to separate the winners from the also-rans. Thanks to its compact size (12 x 11 x 12 inches) and budget-friendly price tag, this bang-for-your-buck cooler is best used for short day-trips, beach days, or to work as a lunch bag. The Rovr Rollr wheeled cooler fared much better, thanks to a rugged design that features heavy-duty wheels, a sturdy steel handlebar and an optional $50 accessory that lets you tow it behind your bike. That meant putting those manufacturer capacity claims to the test, and I wanted a better, more universal metric than just counting how many cans I could cram into each one. CNET editors pick the products and services we write about. It's all more than enough for me to recommend the healthiest possible dose of skepticism if you ever find yourself tempted to back a campaign like that with your cold hard cash. And the best-selling among them is none other … In addition to the vodka mule, they also sell a gin and tonic, vodka soda cranberry, blood orange gin and tonic, vodka soda key lime, and vodka soda tangerine. By Lauren Kranc The cooler from Cabela's hit a minimum temperature that was about 1 degree lower, but unlike the Yeti, it wasn't able to hold that minimum for long periods of time. Wherever you’re headed, here are the best coolers for all types of drinkers. I was able to fill the Lifetime High Performance Cooler with 62.4 quarts of water without causing it to overflow when I shut the lid. All of that adds up to a lot of value -- enough so that the MaxCold earned an overall score of 8.2 here on CNET, higher than any other cooler I've reviewed. With modern insulation technology that allows some coolers to keep contents cold for days or even weeks at a time, now is the perfect time to invest in a high-performance beverage cooler designed for outdoor use. With this knowledge in hand, you can create your own personal point-friendly cocktail by mixing your … Once you’ve reached your destination, the backpack expands wide (and can be opened with one hand for a sip on the go) to double as an ice bucket. Keep in mind that the 15 x 11 x 11-inch cooler is on the smaller size: perfect for beer and soda drinkers, but not as much for oenophiles (it’s a tight squeeze for wine bottles). The temperature down in the ice would have been roughly the same in all of the coolers, leaving retention as the only real variable. It didn't get quite as cold as the Rubbermaid or the Igloo Island Breeze, but the $4 Lifoam cooler that I used as a control unit actually held to its minimum temp longer than the Igloo or the Rubbermaid, and returned a lower overall average temperature than either of them as a result. The result: plastic that's more durable, more uniform in density and, most importantly in the case of coolers, better at insulation. A taller profile means you can slip taller cans and wine bottles into the cooler with ease. That RTIC cooler was also one of our top value picks, at least as far as the expensive rotomolded coolers are concerned. Available at an REI co-op, grocery store, supermarket or gas station near you for about $10, the Recool is a reusable cooler made from recycled tree pulp with environmentally safe additives to help it hold water and keep things cold. At 14 x 7 x 12 inches, this soft-sided cooler can hold a lot for a bag—12, 12-ounce cans, or five pounds of ice. A two-year warranty protects you from any accidental bumps and scrapes. Bison offers lots of optional extras for its rotomolded coolers, including nonslip mats for the lid so you can stand on the cooler to cast a fishing line. Cooler bags are a great way to tote libations and provisions to work, picnics, and more. reviews (2) 100%. OtterBox’s cooler bags are crafted with top durability: the TPU-coated nylon exterior is water- and puncture-resistant, while the interior is leak-proof. There we pitted them against the insulated power of rotomolded coolers from Orca, Rovr, Yeti, Pelican, RTIC, Cabela's and more. The expensive guys? make it again. This organic corn vodka is not only kind to the environment, it arrives in an attractive “craft”- style bottle, costs less than $20, and, best of all, tastes great. With just 3 pounds of ice -- not even enough to fully cover the bottom of the cooler -- the Yeti was able to pull its internal ambient temperature down by almost 25 degrees, the second biggest temperature drop of the group. Polar Ice Arctic Extreme vodka is Canada’s fourth best-selling vodka. Yeti Tundra Haul. We tested 18 -- here are the winners. They essentially tied in my performance tests, so picking between them really comes down to taste. Bonnie Taub-Dix, R.D.N., creator of BetterThanDieting.com and author of Read It Before You Eat It, likes to mix vodka with a little grapefruit juice and a splash of cranberry juice. Seagram has the best mix of Vodka Coolers and Ciders for any mix of friends. With that in mind, there's a range of coolers to consider: classic box coolers to keep drinks ice-cold and party-goers pleased; swing-over-your-shoulder coolers for hiking, biking, and more; heavy-duty backpacks for mountain trekking and white-water rafting; and coolers aimed at keeping white wine at the perfect temperature. A spacious one keeps you from rearranging your drinks or, even worse, sip room-temperature beverages, while an easily-transportable cooler bag makes it easy to host a satellite party. In fact, after 24 hours in a climate-controlled room set to 70 degrees, the Yeti was the only cooler that still had ice in it. This Igloo cooler is equipped to handle provisions for the whole crew, from multiple cup holders to enough storage for 112, 12-ounce cans. Not cool, Rubbermaid! That's several quarts less than the 45 quarts implied by the product name (nice try, Yeti). Why elevated? The $8 Vericool Ohana is a little bigger than the Recool, and it's recyclable, too. While you may not think of a mainstay brand like Absolut as coming with a locally-sourced pedigree, the… That'd be the Rubbermaid Ice Chest Cooler, which couldn't get the inside of the cooler any colder than 55.7 degrees F. On top of that, its average temperature for the duration of the test was 66.8 degrees F -- a warmer average than any other cooler I tested. But with countless options available online and in stores, which one should you get? you must be 19 years of age to purchase alcohol. I wish the Tundra 45 offered more capacity for the price, but if you just want the cooler that'll keep your ice frozen the longest, this is the one.Â. Call it a lookalike if you must, but it's a very good one, with elegant roped handles, dual-locking lid latches and even a built-in bottle opener, something you won't get with the Yeti or Orca we tested. If you're willing to pay a little extra, you can customize your cooler with extras like a built-in prep board for campsite cooking, stainless-steel bottle holders or even a $50 "Bikr Kit" that makes it easy to tow the Rollr behind a bike (though, at almost $400 for the cooler, I wish at least one or two of these kits came included). Multiple compartments, including two side pockets, an iPhone holder, and a roomy front pocket, meaning you can store beers, but also keep food, sandwiches, money, and more separate from the suds. At 15 x 11 x 11 inches, it can hold a party’s worth—30 cans, kept ice-cold through walking paths or hiking trails. Get smart home reviews and ratings, video reviews, buying guides, prices and comparisons from CNET. Specifically, I wanted to track the ambient temperature in each cooler, so I spread the ice in each one I tested beneath an elevated jar of propylene glycol solution (watered-down antifreeze) with a temperature probe in it. You want to “supreme” your limes, which means cut the skin off (and the … Check out Pelican. The cooler also comes with two, ultra-durable wine glasses for sipping on the go. Between the hinges, the lid, the drain plug and the lid latches, the Bison cooler felt the most like a premium product to the touch -- but it didn't hold cold air as well or as long as other rotomolded models, and it costs about $100 more than our most affordable rotomolded pick, the RTIC 65. In fairness, we've only tested a couple of wheeled coolers so far, and the Rollr was the only one that I'd be happy to own. True to Otterbox’s signature phone cases, this backpack also boasts an all-encompassing Lifetime Warranty, but you likely won’t need it—the bag is water-, puncture-, UV-, and chemical-proof thanks to a thick nylon exterior and a heavy-duty base (the brand even promises the nylon will hold up in rushing rapids). After 48 hours, it was the only cooler that still hadn't returned to room temperature. Ready to haul from the car to the campsite, this portable Coleman cooler can hold up to 54 cans, but can quickly fold flat to save space. Seagram Vodka Coolers are made with all natural flavours and have no preservatives. Road trips, cycling adventures, beach days, and beyond: Tourist's cooler backpack is an excellent companion for all types of outdoor activities. It's also bigger than both of those pricier options, coming in at a bigger-than-advertised 62.4 quarts. Despite—eh, who are we kidding, because of—its mass appeal, vodka is disdained by most cocktail snobs, which is reason enough to celebrate its continued prominence. Between this year and last year, I've tested a total of 18 hard coolers, aiming always for a mix of low-end, high-end and in between, as well as a mix of wheeled and nonwheeled options. Meanwhile, for the same price the 58-quart Orca Classic Cooler came in right on the money at 58.1 quarts measured, and while it didn't hold its ice as long as the Yeti did, it still finished as one of our top performers. From there, the cooler will keep its contents chilled for up to 36 hours (slightly less, if you’re facing toasty temperatures). Capacity varied from model to model, but I tried to keep things as close to 50 quarts as I could -- big enough for folks who want dozens of cold beers on hand at their next beach party, but not too big if you're just looking for something to feed the family out of at your next picnic. reservebar.com. Last year, you asked to see reviews for coolers from Pelican, RTIC and Cabela's, so we made sure to include them this time around. That's why a decent, dependable cooler makes for a worthy splurge. If you don’t want to stock all the fixings of a Caesar, … There’s no need for a gel or ice pack either—simply fold the bag flat, slip it into your freezer the evening before you will need it, and pull it out the next day. The only other thing I'll say here is that I'm still surprised not to see more of the high-end options try to separate themselves from the pack with clever bonus features like a built-in battery for charging your devices while you camp outdoors (or better yet, a solar panel). Vodka Cooler . If you want a cooler that feels modern and fancy, but you aren't ready to dish out hundreds of dollars for a rotomolded model, consider the Lifetime High Performance Cooler, which I found on sale at Walmart for $97. Among high-end, rotomolded coolers that cost hundreds of dollars, the Yeti Tundra 45 (pink) still reigns supreme -- but note that Cabela's Polar Cap Equalizer Cooler (green) actually managed to notch a lower minimum temperature. I also liked that the interior comes with a divider that makes it easy to keep items you don't want getting wet separate from the ice, and that you can customize it with different interior liner designs. I usually go for the black cherry or lime, both winners in my book, but I tried the cranberry the other night out and found a new friend! I wanted to get a good sense of performance not just days in, but hours in, before any of the ice had even melted at all. To that end, I carefully filled each cooler with water, measuring out the exact number of quarts each one could hold before I was no longer able to close the lid without spilling. It doesn't lock shut, and the plastic nub hinges are a total joke. sprite, half reg. Â. This article gives you the best and worst alcoholic drinks to choose on … It ain't pretty. For a little more space than that, you could also consider going with rotomolded coolers from Cabela's and RTIC -- the ones I tested were both bigger than advertised at 61.3 quarts and 72.9 quarts, respectively. Rovr pegs the capacity of its $400 Rollr wheeled cooler at 60 quarts, but I could only fit 52.8 quarts of water inside when I measured for myself. We haven't tested soft coolers yet, either. You've got lots of options if you want a wheeled cooler, but if it were me, I'd save up and plunk down $400 for the Rovr Rollr 60. The new vodka offering has 22 grams of sugar but, keep in mind, it’s 473 mL, so, per 355 mL serving, it would only be 16.5 grams. Even the $4 Styrofoam control cooler did better than that. The retro-leaning design of this Coleman cooler adds a hint of charm. Pelican's rotomolded coolers come in a wide range of great-looking colors, and each comes with a lifetime warranty -- they're worth a look if you just want something eye-catching. With 9-inch wheels and a frame built from stainless steel and aluminum, the Rollr is quite heavy even before you start loading cans, water bottles and other beverages into it. The best part: its stylish design looks more like a commuter bag than a rugged hiking sack, making it versatile for work lunches or quick picnics. © 2020 CNET, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. I say take your pick between them. Apart from determining how many cans of beer each one will hold, size and shape will obviously have an impact on performance, too. The roadie cooler is equipped for wherever your adventures take you—molded tie-downs mean you can anchor it to your boat or trailer, and if not, non-slip feet keep it in place, even when the road gets slippery. A full zipper closure means you can pull bottles in and out—think of the bag as portable ice (free) bucket. In fact, it finished in fourth. I wasn't terribly impressed with the performance as compared with other rotomolded coolers, but the brand offers one of the best ranges of color options that you'll find as you shop, and most of the colors don't cost anything extra. Like all of YETI’s adventure bags, its leak-proof, Hydrolok zipper and DryHide shell protect contents against snow, sleet, water, and heat. Calling all fans of festival season: Igloo’s 70-quart carry-all cooler (34 x 20 x 24 inches) is equipped to travel through grassy fields and dirt road campsites. Consider it the perfect festival partner in crime. Check out the RTIC 65. Mott’s Clamato Caesar. Kate Dingwall is a freelance writer whose work focuses on food, drinks and travel. Igloo’s no-frills, 12-quart cooler contains all you’ll need for a quick, weekend getaway. I wasn't impressed with the lid on the Igloo Latitude wheeled cooler, for instance. If we're going to talk about performance, we have to talk about capacity, too. CNET también está disponible en español. Best … The rotomolded RTIC 65 didn't perform as well as the Yeti, Cabela's or Orca models, but with roughly a 73-quart capacity, it also had a bigger job on its hands than those three. Though it wasn't quite as strong of a performer as the Yeti or Orca, it still finished our tests with above-average cooling capabilities, and it was, by far, the easiest and most comfortable cooler to transport from point A to point B, as long as we didn't have to carry it for very long. But don’t let its look fool you—the cooler can keep ice frozen for up to four days in 90-degree temperatures and hold up to 85 cans. If you just want a dependable cooler that's not too expensive, put the Igloo MaxCold at the top of your list. When you’re using it for the day, the Vortex drain system slips the water out quickly. Did we miss a cooler that you're interested in? Thanks to its compact size (12 x 11 x 12 inches) and budget-friendly price tag, this bang-for-your-buck cooler is best … If you’re not looking to invest in a high-end cooler nor use a single-use styrofoam container, opt for Igloo’s re-cool cooler— it’s made from recycled paper and Alkyl Ketene Dimer, a naturally-made mixture that waterproofs upcycled paper pulp. I say infamy because both of those cash-grabs have a history of production delays and decidedly unhappy customers. And while we haven't tested any soft coolers, electric coolers, backpack coolers or other offshoot categories, it's something we might look into in a future update, so let us know in the comments if there are any specific coolers you're interested in, especially soft ones. From barbecues, beaches, backyard weddings, and beyond, a good cooler is key to keeping a party going. If a small cooler is all you need, it'll do the job. Made for durability and portability, Otterbox’s Trooper Cooler holds up to 30 quarts (measuring 21 x 17 x 11 inches) in a travel-friendly backpack. Nearly all liquor (rum, vodka, gin, tequila, whiskey, etc.) Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our please note that we only deliver in ontario / vous devez avoir au moins 19 ans pour acheter de l'alcool. That's all well and good, but I worried that a standard ice retention test on its own wouldn't tell us the whole story. Less ice meant more of a challenge for the coolers, which would hopefully give us a more granular look at how well they perform relative to one another.Â. Out of the rest of the rotomolded field, our top durable performers for insulation were the Orca Classic Cooler and the Cabela's Polar Cap Equalizer Cooler, which are fairly close in price. If you're looking for a top performer that looks the part, Lifetime's design offers the most bang for your buck. Not just a cooler, the bag doubles as an adventure backpack—stow it in an overhead bin or load it up with clothes for a weekend trip. Made from Bolivian quinoa seeds that have been sourced ethically and sustainably, FAIR Quinoa Vodka is… When you buy through our links, we may get a commission. It’s massive (carries 54 quarts and measures 26 x 17 inches), yet durable—pull it around the park or leave it out under any weather condition without worrying about scratches and dents, thanks to its rust-free hardware. Best coolers in 2020: Cabela, Igloo, Yeti, Coleman and more. Gourmet July 1994. Oct 12, 2020 Alyssa Gray. That's what I wanted to know, so I zeroed in on large, hard-sided coolers and turned to the usual suspects -- Rubbermaid, Igloo, Coleman -- and lugged their most popular models into the CNET Appliances test lab. For rougher climates, the lid locks with molded loops to protect contents (think, when it’s time for a dip in the water), and Igloo’s cool-rising technology keeps things chilled throughout the day. In the end, it turned out to be a fruitful test. Afterward, just dump the water out and let it air dry.
2020 best vodka coolers