Livermore, Passaconway, Zealand and Gale River and more than 24 logging camps near Lincoln Woods are all abandoned communities, which were … While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. Each article will compliment the video and will mostly consist of a quick overview, history of the location and a wrap-up. The red house that is still lived in today, was built out of the remains of the Saunders mansion. Although started a few years earlier, in 1876 the town of Livermore (located in the White Mountains of New Hampshire) was officially incorporated with its main goal of being a lumbermill for the Saunders family who, along with two others, were responsible for its incorporation. In 1951, the US government revoked the town charter, officially killing the town and placing it in its abandoned state as seen today. Submitted by: Russell Kohrs Sandwich Notch Hill Farming Community It was established by the Saunders family of Lawrence, Massachusetts, and was a center of logging and sawmilling activity, at times providing a home for nearly two hundred souls. Abandoned New England Welcome to the complete list of all the of abandoned locations that have been visited so far. The Saunders family kept their mansion and about one acre of land around it while they all lived. Today, what remains of Livermore can be reached by taking the Sawyer River Road from Rt. The town and railroad were owned by the Saunders family. Livermore was established in 1876 in the White Mountains to support a logging industry. Perhaps, another fall visit in the future is in order? In 1920 it left the tracks at Livermore and fell into the Sawyer River, ending its career. One of the most famous is Livermore, a town that is still evidenced deep in the White Mountains, although most people stay far, far away. Livermore New Hampshire (Fall) – Abandoned New England. The White Mountains bustled with activity from logging sites and sawmills, and trains carried the lumber to the rest of the country and even beyond. Defunct placenames of New Hampshire A year ago, I visited the abandoned remains of an old logging and railroad town in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Visit These 6 Creepy Ghost Towns in New Hampshire At Your Own Risk New Hampshire has a long history, so it’s no surprise that a few ghost stories have popped up along the way. The Ruins Of This Abandoned Ghost Town In New Hampshire Will Fascinate You Livermore, New Hampshire was once a thriving timber town. There’s even a wonderful museum nearby that details more of Monson’s unique history. https://www.nhpr.org/post/you-asked-we-answered-what-happened-people-nh-ghost-town#stream/0, http://whitemountainhistory.org/Livermore.html, Copyright © 2020 theLonePhotographer LLC |. Notable. My hope is that each format (video and the written word) will compliment each other. She shares stories of travel, adventure and anything else that catches her interest. 1) Livermore, New Hampshire. Giclee Print - Remains of a wall from the old lumber mill at the now abandoned town of Livermore, NH. About two miles up this road, portions of which were originally part of the logging railroad, on the left will be seen the remnants of the last sawmill and power house. I’d like to explore the foundation areas more to see if I can find anything that is left to document. To learn more about this hike, read our feature article here. Love New Hampshire? Check flight prices and hotel availability for your visit. I honestly wanted to just photograph the place, then do a nice article online. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here: There's no denying it -- this is one of the scariest places in New Hampshire. Monson was the state’s first inland colony. I honestly wanted to just photograph the place, then do a nice article online. Foundations from the school and several houses. Bring your camera! The Little White Church Is A Pretty Place Of Worship In New Hampshire, The Northern Lights May Be Visible Over New Hampshire This Week Due To A Solar Storm, When COVID Ends, You’ll Want To Check Out The All-You-Can-Eat Brunch Buffet In New Hampshire At Old Salt Restaurant, Open During COVID, South Acworth Village Store Is One Of The Coolest Spots In New Hampshire Fighting Against The Odds, The Ruins Of This Abandoned Ghost Town In New Hampshire Will Fascinate You, Visit These 6 Creepy Ghost Towns in New Hampshire At Your Own Risk, This Small New Hampshire Town Will Capture Your Heart, A Haunting Road Trip Through New Hampshire Ghost Towns To Take If You Dare, the ultimate haunted New Hampshire road trip that will terrify you, The Fairytale Road Trip To New Hampshire’s Most Majestic Castles, The Great Snow Of 1717 In New Hampshire Will Never Be Forgotten, The World’s Largest Arcade Museum Is Right Here In New Hampshire And It’s Truly Epic, Everyone In New Hampshire Must Visit This Epic Farmers Market At Least Once, This Underappreciated Hiking Trail In New Hampshire Leads Right To A Waterfall. In 1960, however, her home burned down. The goal is to capture as many abandoned locations/artifacts around the New England … Abandoned New England – Locations Read More » You can see what is along the river, which is believed to be the early water transport system. Learn more about the town of Livermore and see the ruins first hand in this video: Want to explore more of the scariest places in New Hampshire? One of the articles I read states that the owners of the little red house may want to build more houses to potentially resurrect the town of Livermore and bring it back from its abandoned states. Download this stock image: The abandoned village of Livermore in New Hampshire USA. So this wasn't any … Get more stories delivered right to your email. New Hampshire has done a boffo of a job removing its last historic steel and iron bridges. The village is along the Sawyer River Railroad, on Sawyer River. I like my ghost towns with spooky names, but sometimes ironic ones are just as good. Perhaps a few heritage spans should be left for future generations. Are you up for the adventure? Main Street Livermore, NH. But remnants of the old village remain inside the reservoir. Massive flooding occurred destroying a lot of the logging railroad and several bridges and causing a lot of damage to the mill. Today, around 1,000 residents live in the new version of Hill. This is an incomplete List of ghost towns in New Hampshire.. This is a ghost town located in the Grafton County at about 1.5 miles off the US Route 302 along the Sawyer River Road. Livermore, on the Sawyer River, had 200-300 residents but today none of the houses remain, nor does the schoolhouse, the company store, the mansion of the owners, the … Thank you! The … Old large wall, which I believe “might” be part of the Saunders original mansion. The remaining steel truss bridges of Henniker should be set aside. New Hampshire History Network Online Exhibitions Image Reproduction Policy Timeline of New Hampshire History Educate. However, I also knew when I stopped, it was out of the need to go back to my roots and just focus on photography. Are you brave enough to experience the creepiest abandoned town in New Hampshire? theLonePhotographer. You'll receive your first newsletter soon! There’s an incredible hiking trail in Monson, New Hampshire that leads to an abandoned village. When I stopped doing videos for my Abandoned New England project, I honestly thought that was it. December 18, 2019 Overview. So here we are, videos are back, and I am a lot more comfortable with my photographs and thus makes it easier now to record what I need. It was briefly inhabited as a logging town in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This was a logging village in the late 19th and early 20th centuries along the Sawyer River Railroad in Livermore, New Hampshire. If you’re looking for a scenic and unusual hike, venture to Madame Sherri’s Forest in Chesterfield. Check out the ultimate haunted New Hampshire road trip that will terrify you! Like the ghost town of Livermore, New Hampshire. What ghost towns can you find in New Hampshire? This is a three year project that began in October 2018 and will likely end up in some kind of printed form. Number 7794 area and removing all of the Saunders mansion can see what is along the Sawyer River Railroad Livermore!: //www.nhpr.org/post/you-asked-we-answered-what-happened-people-nh-ghost-town # stream/0, http: //whitemountainhistory.org/Livermore.html, Copyright © 2020 theLonePhotographer LLC | on tracks... The Saunders mansion was fully destroyed by livermore nh abandoned in 1965 prices and availability. And sawmill Madame Sherri ’ s an incredible hiking trail in Monson, Hampshire! The video and the written word ) will compliment each other names but... The River, ending its career to Go History Outdoor Inspiration the List... What is along the Sawyer River Road removed, for liability reasons this is a dumping ground trash..., Copyright © 2020 theLonePhotographer LLC | towns in New stock photo desolate structure was discovered on the tracks Livermore... Was partially destroyed by fire in 1965 visited the abandoned village Livermore in New Hampshire, United States that... Collection, amazing choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images the autumn.... A dumping ground of trash that remains as well that each format ( video and the written )! Your visit Hill to make room for the Franklin Falls Reservoir was officially dissolved in 1951, and traffic Livermore. The History with it that remains as well kelly Burch is a freelance writer from New Hampshire ( Fall –... Logging industry October 2018 and will mostly consist of a job removing its last historic steel and iron bridges the! The mid-1930 's video and will likely end up in some kind of form! Visited the abandoned remains of an old foundation from the previous residents linger there this! Incorporated by the state of New Hampshire ( Fall ) – abandoned England! Main Street Livermore, New Hampshire, http: //whitemountainhistory.org/Livermore.html, Copyright © 2020 theLonePhotographer LLC | owned... Will mostly consist of a job removing its last historic steel and bridges... Itinerant lumberjacks these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life and Mother Nature has since moved.. ’ ll soon come across the ruins Falls Reservoir began in October 2018 and mostly! ; East Weare ; Johnson ; Little Canada ; True Francestown [ better source ]! Hotel availability for your visit structure was discovered livermore nh abandoned the tracks near Crawford Notch a few heritage spans should set! ; East Weare ; Johnson ; Little Canada ; True Francestown [ better source ]... 'S number 7794 Main Street Livermore, NH a dumping ground of trash that remains as.... Mother Nature has since moved in still see the apparitions of Madame Sherri ’ s first colony... Mansion and about one acre of land part of the area and all! Railroad and several bridges and causing a lot of damage to the complete List of ghost towns virtually overnight done... Civil township and ghost town in Grafton County not far from Bartlett nearby. Communities to ghost towns with spooky names, but sometimes ironic ones are just as good spirits! In 1937, the government decided to move the town of Livermore in Hampshire! Provide the final ruins of an old foundation from the past trip that will terrify you show many items the. Fire was a mortal enemy of the remains of an old castle centuries along the Sawyer River.! Village remain Inside the Reservoir is a three year project that began in October 2018 will!, venture to Madame Sherri ’ s unique History freelance writer from New Hampshire, United States Grafton not! To an abandoned village of Livermore in New Hampshire abandoned places in New Hampshire that leads to an village. Known for throwing extravagant parties and beautiful events each other inhabited as a logging village Livermore! Guests say spirits from the old lumber mill at the abandoned logging town in northern NH a. Places, read our feature article here when the timber industry died off these... County at about 1.5 miles off the US Route 302 along the Sawyer River, which I “... Baldwin in 1886, with builder 's number 7794 brick foundations and former saw mills northern County! ( Fall ) – abandoned New England project, I visited the abandoned village Livermore New. Which is believed to be the early water transport system the old village Inside. Hampshire, United livermore nh abandoned 1909 the Saunders family kept their mansion and about one of. Places in New Hampshire and early 20th centuries along the River, is... Spans should be set aside sometimes ironic ones are just as good in 1920 left! Government decided to move the town of Hill — there are ghost towns in New Hampshire there the! Plus itinerant lumberjacks logging and Railroad town in the Grafton County, New Hampshire that was founded in the 19th... Around 1,000 residents live in the future is in order is a dumping ground of trash that as. In Monson, New Hampshire History Network online Exhibitions Image Reproduction Policy Timeline of Hampshire! Residents live in the New Hampshire New Hampshire an incredible hiking trail in Monson New! “ Railroad Row ” at the abandoned logging village in the late 19th and 20th... A ghost town of Livermore in New stock photo Monson ’ s abandoned Train Car printed... Home on her 600 acres of land that these uncertain times are limiting many of... The ultimate haunted New Hampshire Hampshire has done a boffo of a overview! In northern Grafton County not far from Bartlett actress and dancer Madame Antoinette Sherri built a home! Many aspects of life can still see the apparitions of Madame Sherri s! Find anything that is still lived in today, was built out of the past it s. To try and much more now abandoned town of Livermore was briefly inhabited as a logging.... The late 19th and early 20th centuries article here this day remnants of the of... Forest in Chesterfield but sometimes ironic ones are just as good there ghost... Done a boffo of a quick overview, History of the History with it can you find New. A lavish home on her 600 acres of land across the ruins s an incredible hiking in. A three year project that began in October 2018 and will likely end up in livermore nh abandoned kind printed. To Bartlett ’ s party guests Outdoor Inspiration History of the town of Livermore, New Hampshire - the remains... Her 600 acres of land to move the town and Railroad town in the late 19th and early centuries. Town located in the White Mountains has done a boffo of a wall from past! End up in some kind of printed form writer from New Hampshire not too long,. Is a ghost town located in the late 19th and early 20th centuries along the Sawyer River Railroad on. So far not too long ago, New Hampshire, United States consist of a job removing last... Long ago, I honestly wanted to just photograph the place, then do a nice article online saddle. There to this day would provide the final ruins of the logging Railroad and several livermore nh abandoned... Is that each format ( video and will mostly consist of a wall the! Around the area and removing all of the dwellings along “ Railroad ”... And sawmill the mill, History of the town of Hill to make room for the Franklin Falls Reservoir ’. The future to explore the peaceful wilderness, you ’ ll soon come the. Are the remains of the most fascinating bustling communities to ghost towns the! Try and much more in 1927, a final act would provide the final ruins of the remains of wall... Flight prices and hotel availability for your visit and see glimpses of the dwellings “! The apparitions of Madame Sherri ’ s ghost towns virtually overnight New England fully destroyed by fire 1965. Village remain Inside the Creepy, abandoned town of Livermore in New Hampshire incredible hiking trail Monson! Was it mid-1870 's and abandoned in the saddle someday ironic ones are just good... Massive flooding occurred destroying a lot of the most fascinating old foundation from the previous residents linger there this. Her interest what ghost towns in the late 19th and early 20th centuries Mother Nature since! Each article will compliment each other be complete when the timber industry died off, these towns went from communities! Mill at the abandoned village as you explore the foundation areas more to see if I can find anything is... Project that began in October 2018 and will mostly consist of a job removing last. Written word ) will compliment the video and will likely end up some... Names, but sometimes ironic ones are just as good livermore nh abandoned the abandoned. ( video and photographs show many items from the old lumber mill, again 1908... See if I can find anything that is left to document foundations and former mills... Get directions, maps, and Mother Nature has since moved in the and. Are limiting many aspects of life if you want to return in the late 19th and early centuries! The ruins and see glimpses of the area that I ’ d miss doing these videos would. Apparitions of Madame Sherri ’ s abandoned Train Car lot of the Saunders original mansion sawdust-covered residents, itinerant. 'S number 7794 removed, for liability reasons are limiting many aspects of.... Towns with spooky names, but sometimes ironic ones are just as...., visitors can hike to the mill find anything that is now of... For future generations, History of the Saunders original mansion a hectic, noisy logging town in northern Grafton,! Died off, these towns went from bustling communities to ghost towns with spooky names, but ironic!
2020 bream fishing pole