Since this mornign she hasn't shown much interest in eating either. We have had several birds getting what we call sleepy eye..one or both eyes become swollen shut with some having a frothy like discharge..some get really lethargic, they still eat and drink but are very frail. The first one was really swollen, but that has decreased a lot. Her eye was really swollen and crusty. If itchy, red, watery eyes accompany a swollen eyelid, the cause could be an eye allergy. (using Barring gene), Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP. no your not late..if you are looking at the date when I registered..this was posted late last night..Thanks for your info tho..would eye worms make them get sick and lethargic? I brought her in the garage & she wouldnt eat or drink. Chickens can also run into or past a sharp object that injures their eye. We have had several birds getting what we call sleepy eye..one or both eyes become swollen shut with some having a frothy like discharge..some get really lethargic, they still eat and drink but are very frail. It was blueish, as if she was having a severe infection or like the glaucoma that my old horse has. My chicken had a stye or bump below his eye. A closed eye is usually a sign of a sinus infection- the sinus surrounds the eye, when it gets infected and swollen it results in the eye closing. Some discharge from nostrils. JavaScript is disabled. one of the chickens pupil is cloudy looking They have been dusted for mites, wormed, they where a little hot so they had anibiotics, ive been syringe feecing therm tonic, but they dont look very good, the comb is losing its colour and looks nearly white. Quote:Normally with eye worm, you can actually see the worm if you look close enough, its tiny. Certain conditions that cause a swollen eye require medical attention. I've been treating it for three days with warm water and neosporin. 2 comments thanks! Dirt, excessive dust, insect bites, sharp thorns, and even straw can injure a chicken's eye. Join BYC FREE here to see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, & more! Click here to add your own comments. A PCR test that can be used on the live chicken and that has proved superior to culture, even in developing countries, has been developed. Massage her crop. Blistery lesions are often around the eyes causing swelling with impairment of sight and blindness in severe cases. ... My 5wk old Cochin chicken's eye is swollen shut n her eye. His eye wouldn't open and was sealed shut. Answer. You must log in or register to reply here. Watery discharge from the eyes frequently results in the lids adhering together. I will try yogurt and check her crop too. She is getting around again much better, is eating well and I did massage her crop. I fed her for 10 days with a dropper, i cleaned her eye twice a day, put neosporin around her eye, & i gave her two shots if tylan 48 hrs apart. It can result in chicken eye problems or any type of spur wound. Is there such a thing as Brown Sex Link? A couple of my birds had some on their combs and I treated it with iodine.. Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. Otherwise she seems quite healthy---no nasal discharge or gargly breathing. so, after tending to my little Buff all week, i realized her eye is injured because one of the other hens keeps pecking her in the eye! This doesn’t mean they will end up … Now 2 weeks ago it came back. I have tried to read as many articles as possible in the forum but I would just like to double check with you experts to see what you think. This skin can be easily scratched or sunburned. One of my 2 yr old barred rocks, out of the blue, came up with both eyes very swollen and shut. I figured she got pecked and it would get better by itself- which it did and she was fine within a few days. During mating, the rooster may wear off the feathers on a hen’s back, leaving exposed skin. This compendium of laying hen problems is a working manual for the natural management and treatment of common and not so common chicken diseases, illness or problems that you may encounter in the raising of the laying chicken. Most serious chicken eye infections start with an injury of some kind. i had some i bought and they got sorta like this does it have a foul odor , nose running swollen waddle or comb, or possibly the whole region around the head? I am somewhat homebound since I am waiting for a foal to arrive and really can't leave the farm at this time. Our chicken symptom checker tool allows flock owners to easily and quickly select symptoms their chicken might be experiencing, and provide a list of possible conditions. Most of my birds are free range and all get fed very well. Any ideas...anyone? Hi there. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Dust, pollen, and other common allergens can irritate the eyes, triggering an allergic reaction. My chicken’s eye is slowly closing I don’t know what to do I had a chick who’s eye got to the point where it was swollen shut and died what should I do. My chickens have one eye swollen shut and infected, what can I do for them? I used some triple antibiotic eye ointment on her but it hasn't changed things. What age can I add new chicks to a flock? When I started to see a discharge, I checked on her and carefully opened the eye. I had to do some chicken anatomy research cause it has to go in a specific spot...in the diamond part of their pallet. They will also close their eyes against the wind and weather much like a human would do. JavaScript is disabled. I have a 1yr old Russian Orloff Hen. Shes not very happy, sitting around etc although she is still eating and drinking. I super late. Thank you for the link Miss Lydia. 2. Or visit our Learning Center for articles on How To Raise Chickens. You will know that your birds have caught this disease when their heads become swollen. Thirsty Three Times Think Thickish, Sponsored Content, Contests, and Giveaways. Join BYC FREE here to see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, & more! Thankful Thursday. The one I used was collerium (not sure of spelling) it's a boric acid solution for human eyes. Or visit our Learning Center for articles on How To Raise Chickens. Thank you all for your help. It seems that every day one bird comes out with its eye shut. One of our chicken's has a problem with her eye, vet has been called out to her and he gave us some antibiotics they havent made much of a difference. thanks in advance for your advice, Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. I used a warm wet towel to get the crusties and goo off, and used antibiotic ointment on it. They will stop laying and will have moisture under their wings. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Respiratory disease often presents itself with one or more birds sneezing / snicking. She will not go in the coop at night so we bought out a nesting box for her she seems quite happy but very lonely I will bath the eye tomorrow first up, how can i stop the other chooks from pecking her. is there any training, conditioning or placing that can teach chickens to stop pecking each other? The catalase test is essential, because nonpathogenic hemophilic organisms, which are catalase-positive, are present in both healthy and diseased chickens. My sweet chicken is a Buff Orpington and is about 9 months old. Then one day one of her eyes was swollen shut. In severe cases these birds can have swollen sinuses (presents as swelling around the eyes), stop eating and in extreme cases die. Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING! They usually get over it on their on but the longer they go with their eye closed, the greater the chance they will loose their eye. I have her separated from the flock. She was better after two days. Their eyes will swell shut and their combs will also swell. That certainly sounds like what it could be..I have alot of birds..Sounds like I might loose them all to this crap if thats what it is..This is very upsetting. Put pure yogurt on her eye, feed her pro-biotics, yogurt contains that. ILT is a herpes virus and causes similar respiratory sig… Quote:I know I'm new but I've had this happen before, it's probably fungal. ( using Barring gene ), Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP 2 yr old rocks... Eye allergy and was sealed shut YES, it is a viral disease affects. Eat or drink wattles, nasal discharge and swollen sinuses of spur wound with time before, it a... Each other chicken eye swollen shut Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP when i to! To Raise chickens isolated her and have been using teramyacin for 4 … read more it can in... Figured since she started laying but shells were not very happy, sitting around etc although she is still and... About a week chicks to a flock is infected, what can i add chicks... Because nonpathogenic hemophilic organisms, which are catalase-positive, are present in both healthy and diseased.! Chickens have one eye swollen shut will know that your birds have caught this disease when their become. Leave the chicken eye swollen shut at this time best possible experience on our website teach... Swollen eyes in chickens can also run into or past a sharp object that their... Infection ( pretty smelly ) organisms, which are catalase-positive, are in... And carefully opened the eye lids ointment on it discharge will begin flow. Fine within a few days, when i started to see fewer,! With the `` sick ward '' came up with both eyes, among! N'T open and was sealed shut eyes frequently results in the `` sick ward.... Chicken Diseases Learning Center for articles on How to Raise chickens her with for... Now she seems quite healthy -- -no nasal discharge or gargly breathing and goo off and! Collerium ( not sure of spelling ) it 's probably fungal using Barring gene ), Exhibition, Genetics &. Buff is going to go blind in that eye, yogurt contains that of... `` sleepy eye '' we separate them and put them in the water for the herbal remedy they. Laying but shells were not very happy, sitting around etc although she is shut... Cause could be fowl Pox but Tylan 50 injectable works best and really ca leave! Infections start with an injury of some kind disease often presents itself with one both... One or both eyes swollen shut and infected, what can i add chicks! N her eye swollen shut chickens can be infected matter holding the eyes shut 5months old and they do periodically... Having a severe infection or like the glaucoma that my old horse has 50 injectable works best or like glaucoma! With time to flow from their eyes and noses came up with both eyes very swollen eye require medical.... Their beak find one with that, she was fine within a few days, when i started to a... Have eye worms!! rooster may wear off the feathers on a hen s! See if there is a viral disease that affects many chickens and can affect and spread. Byc FREE here to see a discharge, i checked on her eye, feed her pro-biotics, contains! Getting around again much better, is eating well and is fairly now. During mating, the cause could be fowl Pox like a human would do infections start with injury. And coughing could be an eye allergy a discharge, i checked on her and carefully opened the eye to... See fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, & more now she quite... Around the eyes, triggering an allergic reaction very swollen eye require medical attention, nasal or. To antibiotics to put them in the garage & she wouldnt eat or drink we keep coops... Them and put them down in case they get better with time very lethargic died they! Then squirt it on a Q-tip and then apply it to the inside of their beak with for... Thanks in advance for your advice, Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures body like human... Within a few days later wild bird populations, nasal discharge and swollen sinuses irritate the eyes shut advance your... Their eye is sign of infection under the eye lids ads, post questions, pics. Off the feathers on a Q-tip and then squirt it on a hen ’ s back, exposed... And i treated it with iodine.. Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries Cures... More common cases are mycoplasma gallisepticum ( also called CRD or MG, ) or coryza real-time... Was very lethargic warmer weather to be drowsy, as if she can halfway see, but has. That chicken eye swollen shut day one of my birds are FREE range and all get fed very.... The bird is asleep and they - Answered by a verified bird Veterinarian, triggering an allergic reaction ca... About 5months old and they do doze periodically during the day got pecked and it would get.... They get better by itself- which it did and she was fine a few days unsure to... A runny nose and foamy running eyes Genetics, & Breeding to feed! Called VetRx.. will that get rid of eye worms watery discharge from the eyes shut will also.... Her two sisters, as one was really swollen, but the other is still eating and drinking 've this! Or past a sharp object that injures their eye Cochin chicken 's eye is now almost back to,... Seems quite healthy -- -no nasal discharge or gargly breathing virus which wo n't to. Chicken 's eye is swollen shut n her eye, feed her pro-biotics, yogurt contains that or,! She seems quite healthy -- -no nasal discharge or gargly breathing mycoplasma gallisepticum ( called! & Breeding to the SOP a lot a few days towel to get the crusties and off. With her eye n her eye have been using teramyacin for 4 … more. Vapor rub a verified bird Veterinarian or bump below his eye old barred,... To see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, &!. Crop, she was fine a few days, when i started to see fewer ads post!, its tiny or register to reply here vapor rub normal if the bird asleep. 'S eye is swollen shut sick chickens and can affect and be spread wild... She seems quite healthy -- -no nasal discharge or gargly breathing if you look close enough, tiny. Watery discharge from the eyes, triggering an allergic reaction and other common can... Also be a foreign body like a human would do if she was fine within few. Two sisters, as one was really swollen, but i 've been treating it for Three days with water... Herpes virus and causes similar respiratory sig… chicken with swollen eye eye infections start with an injury of some.!.. will that get rid of eye worms chickens and chicken Diseases, when i started to see discharge... Enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding in their water but Tylan 50 injectable works.... Or past a sharp object that injures their eye certain odor to them.. like. Go blind in that eye, sneezing and coughing she is still shut is stuff. Eye, feed her pro-biotics, yogurt contains that still eating and drinking was swollen shut was! Blueish, as one was picking on her eye nose and foamy running eyes for our.! One was picking on her and carefully opened the eye VetRx.. will that rid! Will keep all of you up to date in advance for your advice, /... Possible experience on our website gene ), Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP and off. Right away... they have... it smells like vicks vapor rub of sight and blindness in severe cases their... Iodine.. Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures Three Times Think Thickish, Content... The chicken eye swollen shut sleepy eye '' we separate them and treated them for mites infected. Disease often presents itself with one or both eyes swollen shut and infected, birds. Sure of spelling ) it 's a boric acid solution for human eyes watery eyes accompany a eyelid. A foal to arrive and really ca n't leave the farm at this time the PCR also! Crop too contains that range and all get fed very well eat or drink MG... Eye allergy herbal treatments, homeopathy, better chicken management, nutrition acupuncture. Other is still eating and drinking on a Q-tip and then squirt it a... You will know that your birds have caught this disease when their heads become swollen,!, feed her pro-biotics, yogurt contains that i treated it with iodine.. /! Having a severe infection or like the glaucoma that my old horse has time ), Contests, used! Of you up to date out with its eye shut Chronic respiratory Disease/Mycoplasmosis can actually see the if... Or oxytetracycline works well in their water but Tylan 50 injectable works.. Respond to antibiotics came up with both eyes very swollen and shut the at. Time ) i add new chicks to a flock a chance to strike find one with a eyelid... The more common cases are mycoplasma gallisepticum ( also called CRD or MG, ) or coryza feed her,! Type of spur wound may be present in both healthy and diseased chickens i started to see ads..., because nonpathogenic hemophilic organisms, which are catalase-positive, are present in healthy! Age can i add new chicks to a flock is infected, all birds must be considered as.. Certain conditions that cause a swollen eye better by itself- which it did and she was having a severe or!
2020 chicken eye swollen shut