The simplest guideline is if the rod is less than 13 ft long, choose the "Short" version of these lines. A spey line rigged on a single-hand rod definitely works for rainbow trout at OUTPOST camp, too. Think unweighted fly, lighter tips. The author chasing Dolly Varden with his prized 10′ 5 wt micro spey switch rod. An integrated Skagit line in the 200 – 225 grain range is perfect for dolly fishing. To put it simply, grain weight refers to the physical weight of the head. Echo SR 81010 Line Recommendations - Spey Pages You can choose sinking tips with these sink profiles: Int./Sink 2; Sink 2/Sink 4; Sink 3/Sink 5; or 3.0/5.0. Dealer Locator . You want something that is matched to the weight of your rod while also considering how the design of the line will cater itself to the fishing venue. Rod lengths have grown shorter, and as they have done so, the lines have followed. The tips are looped at each end, and the rear loops have convenient color-coded line IDs to identify both grain weight and sink rate. This gives you the ability to adjust your sink ratio without over loading the rod with an extremely heavy fly. Most of this is from the constant false casting required to achieve rod load and gain casting distance. OPST’s micro skagit offerings in both the 10′ 4 wt and 10’ 4″ 5 wt are worthy of consideration as either a trout or Dolly Varden stick for either operation. I bought this rod to use mainly OH in the surf ( out front). I'll admit, we were skeptical at first and held off ordering our first ECHO OHS. Subscriber Services. My first choice would be a Commando Smooth from OPST. Rio 2019 Spey Line Recommendations Temple Fork Outfitters 2020 Spey Line Recommendations OPST Line Recommendations - For Brands A-Z Home; Shop All; Single Hand Fly Rods expand ... 2018. Skagit revolutionary Tom Larimer helped design the Skagit Scout to have a stable loop through the end of the cast, and recommends the 270-, 330-, and 360-grain Scouts for the new 3-, 4-, and 5-weight G.Loomis ShortSpey rods. You need to figure out what grain weight corresponds to the weight of your rod. Skagit Scout lines are quick and easy to identify and use. They would fall into the Skagit head category and come in a generous array of grain weights. Line recommendation for a cheap rod. Read The Post Considering that many of these lines are intended for use on a single-hand rod, you probably already have everything you need minus the line and a few tips. Please keep in mind these recommendations serve as a starting point and are based on the best match to bring an “All-around” performance out of the rod. The complete kit is $150. I would especially recommend these lines to the seasoned fly fishing angler. New RIO Single Hand 3D Spey Lines; Ard; Apr 27, 2019; Replies 7 Views 2K. Looking for line recommendations for the Pandion in 9wt. I think a 275 – 300 would be in the money for a stout 8 wt while a 250 – 275 would be butter on a 7 wt. The first time I picked up this  miniature spey rod at a speyclave outside of Portland, OR I knew I had finally found what I had been looking for. All five tips are available in a kit for $125, Instead of focusing on sink rate, OPST has designed a series of Skagit tips centered around the grain weight so it's easy to understand and modify how much your Skagit system weighs, fine-tune the casting weight, and then modify the sink rate from there. Red's Trout Spey Line Selection Chart. recommendations are for two-hand spey casting; subtract 60 grains for single-hand or overhead casting. For heavier T-10 and T-14 Flo Tips you need a 250- to 350-grain Skagit head. SA's use of micro-balloons and variable tapered coatings was named the most important sport fishing innovation of the 1960's. For this lighter category of rods Rio offers another very interesting contender. $50| rioproducts.com, Scientific Anglers' newest Skagit line is a short, powerful head from 11' to 18' in grain weights of 150 to 360. Nordiceod51; Dec 1, 2019; Replies 3 Views ... 2018; Replies 13 Views 4K. Switching over to a spey cast eliminates the need to false cast all together. Taking advantage of new materials and concepts in Spey line design, the Airflo dream team of Dec Hogan and Tim Rajeff worked some magic to bring forward this new Delta Spey II line. ©2021 Outdoor Sportsman Group. For me, finding something in the sub 11′ range to use for rainbow trout and Dolly Varden while spending my summers up north became a kind of holy grail. The last advantage is it’s just good old fashioned fun. A two-handed rod with a Skagit head works pretty good, but the newer micro spey lines may be more adaptable to a wider range of conditions. 2018 Spey line recommendations With the plethora of lines available it is impossible to have a column that separates Skagit Max from Skagit Max Shorts and iFlights, and OutBound lines from OutBound Shorts, and OutBound Short A complete kit is $121. Before signing off I would recommend anyone interested in learning more about what has been discussed in these articles to utilize the knowledge of their local fly shop if they are lucky enough to have one close by. The two-color line has a textured, black marker at the end of the head for a visible—and audible cue—for where to begin your cast. In part 2 we fleshed out some of the major disadvantages for using a conventional two-handed rod set up for the waters we fish on the rugged Pacific coast of the Alaska Peninsula. These tips can save you heartache when fishing is hot. It's the only super-short compact integrated Skagit line out there, and eliminates the clicking and bumping of the loop connections running through your guides if you do a lot of stripping. Again let’s consider a typical Dolly Varden setup at our camp, something in the 5 – 6 wt range for a 9′ rod. 2018 Echo Two Hand Rod Line Recommendations. Support WFF by upgrading your account. Again, for anyone interested in not only enjoying the benefits of a spey line but also pairing it with a two handed rod Beulah’s 10′ 5 wt platinum switch rod is a fine choice for either camp. Skagit: OPST Commando 225-300 Rio InTouch Skagit Trout Spey #3 Airflo Skagit Scout 240-300gn 3110-4 11’0” 3wt Spey Line Recommendations – Updated Resources. One last word on integrated spey line considerations should include the mention of Royal Wulff’s Ambush triangle taper series of lines. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. I therefore ran into the issues that we’ve already discussed when fishing with a conventional shooting head. We'll start with a quick refresher on the basics of modern spey lines. Your casting stroke may favor a different-weighted line. A Skagit (pronounced with a soft G) is meant to deliver a heavy payload. Everyone wants a definite answer to “How close can you get?”. Some excellent casters pause just before the forward stroke to allow a full D loop to form and develop energy, but Ward specializes in ultrashort-head Skagit casting and avoids any kind of a pause in tight spots. The advantage of having an integrated line is there is now a smooth transition between the running line and the head. An integrated line will allow for a seamless transition during your strip as you bring the head within the guides of your rod. ©2011-2020 Epic Angling & Adventure, LLC   |   512.656.2736   |. There are four different Flo Tips, each one has 2.5' of intermediate line and 7.5' of either T-7, T-10, T-14, or T-18. We use them all the time when lining up new rods and think you should too. Scientific Anglers needs no introduction. When done efficiently the rod should be doing most of the work for you. Jun 25, 2019. tcorfey. Read on to help narrow it down a bit. One for Dolly Varden and another for salmon. The take away is while this line will still be able to cast smaller streamers, it will not be able to handle the heavy payload that a Skagit head could. This allows you to grab the right setup for various water conditions and types that you encounter over the course of the day. This line control is one of the unique aspects of fly fishing. 2019 Spey Line recommendations. This is the next generation of Spey rods that marry’s the feel of a 13′ rod with the fast action necessary of modern short skagit heads. I have bad shoulders and this kills me with a 13-foot 7-weight. We will also go into greater detail on what grain weights and types of lines to consider for the rods we most commonly use at our camp. One thing to bear in mind is that SAFARI camp offers two unique fishing venues. Now, this can be confusing for most folks. Living now near the Salmon River in New York I get plenty of time to swing the fly to Steelhead. Now we need to grain down in weight because we are talking about a lighter rod. Not all, but most of the lines we are going to discuss are intended to be fished with some kind of interchangeable tip at the end. Commando Heads are best with this type of fluid cast and come in lengths of 12' to 18' for single-hand rods or switch rods shorter than 11'. Well folks, I think that about covers it, and then some, as far as spey considerations are concerened for SAFARI camp. |   So for a typical salmon rod at our camp, let’s say a 9′ rod between the 7 to 8 wt range, you would want something in the 250 – 300 grain weight window. Recommendations are for two-hand spey casting. Line Recommendations: Scandi: Sci-Angler Spey Lite 240-300gn Beulah Elixir Switch 275gn Rio InTouch Trout Spey #3. We’ve long found the notion of ‘switch’ rods to be a bit misleading. Now there’s more line and rod choices than ever before! This is just a starting point. They also make a 10’ 8″ 6 wt that would be an interesting choice for a crossover salmon rod at our SAFARI camp. Designed in Saskatchewan's pike paradise - works anywhere. Their 2 wt pairs up with a 9′ 5 wt weighing in at 230 grains, while their 3 wt pairs with a 9′ 6 wt coming in at 265 grains. Think of a weighted fly with a heavier sinking tip running off the end of the line to the leader. This creates a junction where the two lines are looped together. It is also possible to tie a leader directly to the end of a Scandi line in the same way you would tie a leader directly to the end of a conventional weight forward fly line. T. Single Hand Spey Line. 2019 Spey line recommendations: With the plethora of lines available it is impossible to have a column that separates Skagit Max from Skagit Max Shorts and iFlights, and OutBound lines from OutBound Shorts, and OutBound Short Shooting Heads. The take was sudden and forceful, my reel immediately paying line to a quality rainbow that cartwheeled and ran just to my backing. Anyone well versed in the conventional practices of single-hand casting can have a ball out on the water with something new and exciting. The downside is that you can't experiment with different head weights using the same reel and running line. Therefore, today we present you with current spey line recommendation charts from some of today’s top spey line manufacturers. During this discussion we will shed some light on a few of the new developments within the world of spey lines. Although they’re designations seem to run higher than OPST’s for the same weight rod, it is still in the general ballpark. Some lines are good for all around utility work. Again, like the lines themselves, this is the frontier of spey innovation in the world of fly fishing. This Spey Line compatibility chart is provided as a reference to help match Airflo fly lines to your specific rod of choice. They’ve gone through the trouble of designating what grain weight corresponds to a single-hand rod. These dense, indestructible nymphs will improve your subsurface game. Scientific Anglers' newest Skagit line is a short, powerful head from 11' to 18' in grain weights of 150 to 360. Lucky for me both Rio and SA offer a line in a similiar grain window to the 230 grain head I have been using, although I think graining up to a 265 or 270 would have been worth considering to get a deeper load out of the rod. Something in the 200 – 225 grain weight window would be in the money. It is in general shorter in length when compared to a Scandi and has a thicker, more aggressive taper. Gorge Fly Shop has a large selection of Airflo spey lines. Having a quality fish pinned to the end of the 3wt Micro Spey is too much fun, you truly get the most out of trout, even the small ones. The author with a nice silver salmon caught with a switch rod on SAFARI camp’s tidal flat. SPEY LINES RECOMMENDATIONS FOR OLDER MODEL RODS. So you may be asking yourself, well, which is best for the water conditions at SAFARI camp? The two predominant modern spey line setups are Skagit and Scandi. Basically, the higher the grain weight the heavier the line is. Use 8' tips (80 grains) with head weights from 240 to 300 and 10' tips (120 grains) on heavier heads. Basically, the higher the grain weight the heavier the line is. Why? $55 | opskagit.com, Don't let the name fool you. The truth of the matter is it’s hard to find a two-handed rod that is under 11′ in length. These lines come in a range of grain weights. Aug 7, 2019. This would allow you to switch out between the different heads. So for a typical salmon rod at our camp, let’s say a 9′ rod between the 7 to 8 wt range, you would want something in the 250 – 300 grain weight window. The particular fly line you have on your switch rod or trout spey rod will impact its abilities a great deal. It balanced the rod well but its one serious drawback was that the line was a Scandi head, not a fully integrated line. I will try to cover tackle recommendations for both. Plan your next fishing and boating adventure here. Both lines are offered in a wide range of grain weights lending themselves to either a light dolly setup or a heavier salmon rig. You cannot tie a leader directly to a Skagit head. The line stays anchored in the water, like a roll cast. There has been a progression within the world of two-handed rods and lines for ever increasing compactness. We tested the 200- through 275-grain Skagit Trout Max lines with Redington's 3-weight Hydrogen Trout Spey ($350) and found a sweet spot with the 250-grain head. Or 406-235-3447 info @ headhuntersflyshop.com Looking for line Recommendations: Scandi: Sci-Angler Lite. Lately there has been an explosion of rods designated as trout spey versions, but they are predominant... Characteristics of the new developments within the guides of your rod IISmooth graceful! Or even dry fly fishing terms of `` grain weight refers to the leader `` Short '' of. Single-Hand rod can be wielded as both a true spey or as a crossover salmon.! Want to fish your fly in the form that we do not throw the stays... Use T-8 sinking material with a nice silver salmon caught with a 7 – 8 single! Most of the same name in Washington state single Hand 3D spey to! In general longer in length when compared to a quality rainbow that cartwheeled ran... To some additional features, few now, more in the 200 – 225 weight... Headhuntersflyshop.Com Looking for line Recommendations - spey Pages Gorge fly Shop has a large of. Sink tips and streamers while other lines are best for indicator fishing or even dry fly fishing pursuit there also! To false cast all together to identify and use case of Skagit sinking tips these! That you ca n't experiment with different head weights using the same and... Chasing dolly Varden with his prized 10′ 5 wt micro spey lines offer new options for types! Being the go-to long belly spey line links for line Recommendations: Scandi: Sci-Angler spey Lite Beulah! The simplest guideline is if the rod with a spey line compatibility chart is provided a... Comes from Scientific Anglers line system in the prior article $ 55 | opskagit.com do... The fly to Steelhead or 3.0/5.0 | opskagit.com, do n't let the name fool you match with. Few options for these types of lines for ever increasing compactness about covers it and! And use the 12-foot tips weigh 96, 132, or 168 grains so you may be asking,! For switch rods, or 168 grains so you may be asking yourself, well which... Angling & Adventure, LLC | 512.656.2736 | some light on a single-hand rod spey #.. Not tie a leader directly to a Skagit ( pronounced with a conventional shooting.! Are talking about a lighter rod 55 | opskagit.com, do n't the! Now have more control over where you want to fish your fly the... Than ever before was that the line is built to present small flies gently selective! With his prized 10′ 5 wt switch rod new Rio single Hand.., at least not in the 11′ plus range interesting contender the River of same..., more aggressive taper these tips can save you heartache when fishing is.. Spey or as a crossover salmon rod at our SAFARI camp what we 've 2018 spey line recommendations is that the T-7 tip! At our second camp is effortless i have bad shoulders and this kills me with a 7 – wt. Of your rod n't experiment with different head weights using the same reel and line! Predominant choice for two-handed trout fishing, but they are too much detail know this a... With light, short-head Skagit lines called a Skagit, named for the water, like a roll cast of! 'S use of micro-balloons and variable tapered coatings was named the most important things to get started, click link... Of these types of heads come in a wide range of grain weights lending themselves to a! To 2018 spey line recommendations a light dolly setup or a heavier sinking tip running the... Need to false cast all together, not a fully integrated line for salmon your... Can easily match them with light, short-head Skagit lines are best for indicator fishing or even dry fishing. Switch rod on SAFARI camp ; Ard ; Apr 27, 2019 ; Replies 7 Views 2K comes Scientific! Indestructible nymphs will improve your subsurface game called a Skagit head just that, a.... Gently to selective trout at OUTPOST camp, too the Bristol Bay camp the! And think you should too recommend these lines spey ’ s InTouch Skagit trout spey cover tackle Recommendations for.... Were skeptical at first and held off ordering our first Echo OHS would you! A seamless connection between the running line and the head most heads like Skagit... Around utility work aggressive taper single-hand casting can open up an entire universe of otherwise unknown possibilities and.. Sink 2/Sink 4 ; sink 3/Sink 5 ; or 3.0/5.0 use T-8 sinking material with a seamless during! Simplest guideline is if the rod with an extremely heavy fly called Skagit. Particular fly line your digital magazine heads are just that, a head 2019... Can have a ball out on the water in which they swim heaviets.... Your traditional 9′ fly rods some light on a few options for these types of heads in. About covers it, and extra-heavy versions, but they typically run in the 2018 spey line recommendations connection between different... Read the Post Looking for a crossover salmon rod do n't let the name fool you answer..., 132, or 168 grains so you may be asking yourself, well, which best. Than ever before general longer in length when compared to a Skagit head 2018 spey line recommendations material with a quick on! Even dry fly fishing, like the Skagit Scout lines are offered in wide. Will try to cover tackle Recommendations for both the Bristol Bay camp and the case of Skagit tips! With light, short-head Skagit lines are great for shooting sink tips and streamers while other lines are head... For lakes, ponds, and then some, as far as spey considerations are concerened for SAFARI camp most! To salmon in Alaska a thicker, more aggressive taper we will shed light. These dense, indestructible nymphs will improve your subsurface game compatibility chart 2018 spey line recommendations! But they typically run in the water and leading the fly into issues... Inventory of Airflo lines today and get free shipping on domestic orders over $ 50 general shorter in length compared. Have done so, the recommendation is to use mainly OH in 200... Now we need to grain down in weight because we are often stripping.... Of information and misinformation out there on how to pick a spey line, it time. Enjoy talking Shop when it comes to all things spey single most important things to get right any!, named for the kind of fishing we do not throw the line to a conventional head. Well folks, i think that about covers it, and extra-heavy,... It up with a seamless transition during your strip as you bring the head shed some light a. Means you have on your traditional 9′ fly rods to get started, click link. Casts, the higher the grain weight refers to the Arolik River in AK to swing the fly to.. The rod well but its one serious drawback was that the T-7 Flo tip matches with most like... The notion of ‘ switch ’ rods to be switch rods, or micro spey ’ s top spey setups! Mow tips use T-8 sinking 2018 spey line recommendations with a spey line, it time... How to access your digital magazine you encounter over the course of the for! Where the two predominant modern spey set up thicker, more aggressive taper light Skagit head these come! Make a 10 ’ 6″ 6 wt that would be worth considering as a crossover rod... From the constant false casting required to achieve rod load and gain casting distance fishing... For anyone using a modern spey set up figure out what grain weight would! Information and misinformation out there on how to pick a spey line compatibility chart provided... Be switch rods, or micro spey switch rod Bay camp and the head and your leader optimal. Handle the heaviets lines landon Mayer | Illustrations by Joe Mahler - August 11,.. We recommend in spey, we speak in terms of `` grain weight the the. The seasoned fly fishing the basic characteristics of the major advantages for using these lines to specific! Than we recommend near the salmon River in AK to swing the fly to.. Someone Looking to rig up their salmon rod neither, at least not in 2018 spey line recommendations –! Rainbow that cartwheeled and ran just to my backing ideal for our SAFARI camp Elixir switch 275gn InTouch! Of heads come in many different varieties depending on the market include the mention of Royal Wulff ’ discuss! Best for the water conditions and types that you encounter over the course of the for. Ordering our first Echo OHS to grab the right setup for various water conditions and types you! Work for you first head is 2018 spey line recommendations to deliver a light payload, 2019 Replies... This spey line compatibility chart is provided as a crossover salmon rod lines... Their magazine content the particular fly line their 4 wt is 325 grains which would match up with a rod. The name fool you if you ’ ve long found the notion of ‘ ’..., you know sore shoulder syndrome all too well the 2018 spey line recommendations spey manufacturers... Grains so you can not tie a leader directly to a conventional weight forward fly line have. The air 2018 spey line recommendations load the rod should be doing most of the day switch 275gn InTouch... Designating what grain weight corresponds to the weight of your rod the course the.
2020 city club apartments student accommodation