Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free! Voice Memos 7th song is named “Uh Huh”, referring to Quadeca’s favorite ad-lib. More example sentences. Uh-uh ! English Language Learners Definition of uh-huh informal — used to show that you agree or understand — sometimes used to encourage someone to continue talking See the full definition for uh-huh in the … (Uh-huh) I don't like her (Uh-huh) She a biter (Uh-huh) She talk shit? Jade Elizabeth Bird (Hexham, 1º ottobre 1997) è una cantautrice e polistrumentista britannica. Uh huh is used in writing to represent a sound that people make when they are agreeing with you, when they want to show that they understand what you are saying, or when they are answering 'yes' to a question. An antonym for uh-huh is mm-mm. An antonym for uh-huh is mm-mm. Check out and contribute to the discussion of this word! Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible). Texting. Person B: Uh-huh . Learn more. Don't sacrifice what isn't there My heart is breaking You seem to think I am amused by you You're neither here and you're neither there My guess is that the the early 20th century dates were when the expressions were first mentioned, not when they were first used. Write a usage hint or an example and help to improve our dictionary. uh-huh: [interjection] "yes." uh-huh in Chinese : int.1.嗯嗯 (= yes)。2.〔读时带重鼻音〕嗯 (= no)。vi.〔…. Learn a new word every day. [1920–25, Amer.] Uh Huh Her - No Sacrifice Lyrics. Onomatopoeia in general is somewhat language-agnostic: if you say whoosh, people everywhere will know it’s the sound of something flying through the air. Uh huh definition: Uh huh is used in writing to represent a sound that people make when they are agreeing... | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! Dictionary ! Definition of uh-huh in the Definitions.net dictionary. Test your knowledge - and maybe learn something along the way. See more words with the same meaning: yes, agreements (statements of) . Are there others I have missed? Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. uh huh is used in writing to represent a sound that people make when they are agreeing with you, when they want to show that they understand what you are saying, or when they are answering 'yes' to a question. Synonyms for uh huh include yes, yeah, yep, affirmative, certainly, yah, yea, yup, absolutely and agreed. Meaning of uh-huh. Meaning of uh huh. Originally posted on : . 'Nip it in the butt' or 'Nip it in the bud'? no; disagreement; negative reply Unh-uh. the act of a person who encloses something in or as if in a casing or covering a school giving instruction in one or more of the fine or dramatic arts a comic character, usually masked, dressed in multicolored, … uh-uh: [interjection] "no." used to say no or to emphasize a negative answer to a question, request, or offer. level 1 ‘Fans from many cultures, in unison, chime in on cue, ‘Uh-huh, uh-huh!’’ ‘In the same song she turns around and shouts in a baritone, ‘You make me wanna uh-huh!’’ ‘I had written five or six questions out to ask him and we went through them in like two minutes, and I had nothing else to ask him, because each answer was, ‘nah, yeah, uh-huh, yup, no.’’ See more words with the same meaning: yes, agreements (statements of) . It is produced by Michael Bao and appears on 'Voice Memos.' Uh huh.” It doesn’t necessarily mean we concur with the person speaking, but it does show we’ve heard them. Rolling Stone ha descritto la sua voce come "grezza e vigorosa" con Tony Visconti che ha dichiarato che "lei canta in modo professionale, è molto intelligente come cantante e non c'è nulla che non sia in grado di fare con la sua voce". Uh-huh. An example of a time when you would say "uh uh" is if someone asks you if you have any milk and you do not. 2.A term use by men world wide in responce to a women who is either naggin him or talking about something of absolut zero relevance to his life...as he's only interested in having sex with her at the time. .meaning no logging for the pipeline right? Person A: Did you turn in your paper on time? What made you want to look up uh-uh? Which of the following refers to thin, bending ice, or to the act of running over such ice. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved. What does uh huh mean? A form of acknowledgement that sounds less aggressive when verbally said, but is synonymous to " f*ck off" in the texting world. A less emphatic form of 'yes'. There are no user-contributed notes for this entry. Traduzione per 'uh-huh' nel dizionario inglese-italiano gratuito e tante altre traduzioni in italiano. When corner Corey Webster said, "we can't lose track of our man until the whistle blows," safety Kenny Phillips, from one locker over, voiced a loud "uh-huh." Change your default dictionary to American English. What does uh-huh mean? HTML tags and links are not allowed. In Korean there is a very informal way of saying no: "eung" or "응", that's a very nasal form of "uh-huh". The first records of uh, uh, meaning no, and uh huh, meaning yes, were in the early 20th century in America. You drank the last of the juice! (interjection) "Have you eaten yet?" I mean, I liked him before and wanted to like him now more than ever, that red-hot devil, that Bill uh-huh Clinton. Find more opposite words at wordhippo.com! "Uh-huh" is often said while someone else is talking, in order to show that the listener is still interested or agrees with what the speaker is saying. DEFINITIONS 1. Learn a new word every day. In Finnish, the utterance ahaa sounds pretty much the same as uh-huh in English, but it’s not used to mean ‘yes’ but to express that the listener has just heard some interesting information, perhaps surprised. "Uh-huh", in an elongated form, can be used to signify sarcastic agreement. Accessed 15 Jan. 2021. Delivered to your inbox! Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary It is pronounced with the voice dropping slightly, unless it's spoken with emphasis or as a joke. Linguist James R. Hurford notes that in many English dialects "there are colloquial equivalents of Yes and No made with nasal sounds interrupted by a voiceless, breathy h-like interval (for Yes) or by a glottal stop (for No)" and that these interjections are transcribed into writing as uh-huh or mm-hmm. Don't "uh-huh" me, Augustus, or I'll come and clean your catheter myself. "No," usually said causally on topics of minor importance. See more. Delivered to your inbox! (used to indicate disagreement, disapproval, or the like.) American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. interj. Person B: Uh-huh . Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! ‘‘Yeah sure, uh-huh,’ Bella replied, turning sideways to face him.’. Roseanne Archy. What made you want to look up uh-huh? uh-huh. Uh-huh definition, (used to indicate agreement, confirmation, attentiveness, or general satisfaction). It charted at #9 on the Billboard 200.. Uh-Huh contained three Top 20 Billboard Hot 100 hits: "Crumblin' Down" (#9), Pink Houses" (#8), and "Authority Song" (#15).In 1989, it was ranked No. Which of the following refers to thin, bending ice, or to the act of running over such ice. We were in Alaska, um-hum, but that was long before the earthquakes. "Uh-huh" is often said while someone else is talking, in order to show that the listener is still interested or agrees with what the speaker is saying. 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'? Uh huh, this my shit All the girls stomp your feet like this A few times I've been around that track So it's not just gonna happen like that 'Cause I ain't no hollaback girl I ain't no hollaback girl [2x] Oh, this my shit, this my shit [4x] I heard that you were talking shit And you didn't think that I would hear it (informal) No. I think it has to do (at least partially) with intonation - "uh-huh" (meaning yes) is usually said with rising intonation, while "uh-uh" (meaning "no") is usually said with falling intonation. Definition of uh huh in the Definitions.net dictionary. Person A: Did you turn in your paper on time? chiefly US, informal —used to say no or to emphasize a negative answer to a question, request, or offer. Information and translations of uh-huh in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on … "Uh-huh" can serve as an informal reply to thanks or an expression of gratitude. ‘Fans from many cultures, in unison, chime in on cue, ‘Uh-huh, uh-huh!’’. Don't request for help, don't ask questions or complain. Uh uh is defined as "no." "Uh-huh, I--" began Mr. Wrenn. (ˈʌ̃ˈʌ̃, ˈʌ̃ˌʌ̃, ˌʌ̃ˈʌ̃) interj. Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible). He shouldn't do that. Uh-Huh is a 1983 album by John Cougar Mellencamp, a stage name for John Mellencamp.It was Mellencamp's seventh studio album and the first in which he used his real last name. '. “Uh-uh.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uh-uh. level 2. Quadeca’s “Uh Huh” has found a strong audience with over 1 million YouTube views to date. nuh-uh: "no it isn't", "no way" as term of disbelief. Test your knowledge - and maybe learn something along the way. Lass das " Uh-huh " Augustus, oder ich komme und reinige deinen Katheter selbst. No, that just means that the spelling uh-huh is used as the written representation of what is orally /əˈhə/, in the same way that chair is used in writing to represent the sound that people make when talking about chairs. I was really nervous about signing up, but then I found my lucky troll pen, and i thought, hey, this is a good sign. uh-huh: [interjection] "yes." ‘‘Do you understand?’ ‘Uh-huh.’’. This is the British English definition of uh-uh.View American English definition of uh-uh. The meaning of life (uh huh, for real) Published on May 2, 2019 May 2, 2019 • 101 Likes • 3 Comments Find more opposite words at wordhippo.com! "Huh-uh." There’s one other odd way that we sometimes say, “Yes,” and that is by saying, “No,” as in the expression, “No, I know.” Usage "Uh-huh" can be used informally as an answer to a question. Probably just through usage. Ero piuttosto nervosa riguardo all'iscrizione, ma poi ho trovato la mia penna troll fortunata ed ho detto: è un buon segno! 'Nip it in the butt' or 'Nip it in the bud'? Are these commonly associated with the meanings I have assumed (either in American English, or elsewhere)? The song was the third of the album to have a video clip, after the two featured titles War! No way! See the full definition for uh-huh in the English Language Learners Dictionary. I'm Polish and we use all those "aha/uh-huh" the same way as in English. The song was the third of the album to have a video clip, after the two featured titles War! Top definition. uh huh interjection. What does huh-uh mean? Sorry, no definitions found. repeated and separated by the voiceless sound, used to indicate affirmation, agreement, or gratification, Post the Definition of uh-huh to Facebook, Share the Definition of uh-huh on Twitter, used to show that you agree or understand, sometimes used to encourage someone to continue talking. Synonyms for uh huh include yes, yeah, yep, affirmative, certainly, yah, yea, yup, absolutely and agreed. How to use uh in a sentence. “Uh-huh.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uh-huh. uh-uh. Add a note. uh-uh definition: 1. used in writing to represent the sound that people sometimes make to give a negative answer: 2…. . usually means the person doesn't understand something. Sorry, no definitions found. Uh huh . 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'? Uh-huh definition based on common meanings and most popular ways to define words related to uh-huh. Affirmative; yes; yeah. Yes and no, or word pairs with a similar word, are expressions of the affirmative and the negative, respectively, in several languages including English.Some languages make a distinction between answers to affirmative versus negative questions; thus they may have three-form or four-form systems instead. Voice Memos 7th song is named “Uh Huh”, referring to Quadeca’s favorite ad-lib.. Lived there long?" Accessed 15 Jan. 2021. Information and translations of uh huh in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on … traduzione di uh-huh nel dizionario Spagnolo - Italiano, consulta anche 'usual',Unión Europea',urna funeraria',un', esempi, coniugazione, pronuncia The first records of uh, uh, meaning no, and uh huh, meaning yes, were in the early 20th century in America. See more words with the same meaning: no, disbelief, doubt (statements of) . .different rules probably.Timeline PhotosAssociated Press Regulators: Oregon logging rules don't protect fish,… "Uh-huh" can serve as an informal reply to thanks or an expression of gratitude. Informal Used to express agreement or an answer in the affirmative. Ilham Uh Huh lyrics & video : [Chorus] Oh no, is that your bitch? . That is surprising, because some feel they are expressions that predate language itself. Not to be confused with it's converse, " uh huh ," (meaning yes) which is said with the voice rising slightly. Add a note to the entry "huh-uh". and Used to express assent or as a non-committal response to a question or remark. 'Did she? exclamation. also uh-huh. Can also be interchanged with whateva. used in writing to represent the sound that people sometimes make in order to agree with or show understanding of something that has just been said: "Did you hear what I just said?" When I asked for an appointment, the nurse said, "Um-hum, I have an opening at four o'clock on Friday." Someone made an emphatic sound while nodding or otherwise agreeing, and someone else made an emphatic sound shaking their head or otherwise disagreeing. Uh definition is - —used to express hesitation. huh uh. That happened thousands of times. See the full definition for uh-uh in the English Language Learners Dictionary. That is surprising, because some feel they are expressions that predate language itself. unknown. 1.Yes. Uh-uh. See the full definition for uh-uh in the English Language Learners Dictionary. Uh-huh. Find more ways to say uh-huh, along with related words, antonyms and example phrases at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus. Nuh-uh . uh huh (which I take for a yes) uh uh (for no) nuh uh (also saw that once for no, but I'm not even sure nuh is even a word) whereas a standalone "huh?" Check out and contribute to the discussion of this word! uh-huh synonyms, uh-huh pronunciation, uh-huh translation, English dictionary definition of uh-huh. Moltissimi esempi di frasi con "uh huh" – Dizionario italiano-inglese e motore di ricerca per milioni di traduzioni in italiano. Another word for uh-huh. I … '—'Uh huh. Menu. Anything in … Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free! Define uh-huh. I'd venture to guess that the tone tells you more than the sounds do. Green light! There's No Sense Hiding the Hatred That predate Language itself Lived there long? in writing to represent the sound that people make! ) I do n't `` uh-huh, I have assumed ( either in American English definition of.! 1º ottobre 1997 ) è una cantautrice e polistrumentista britannica Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd Uh-huh. ’... Meaning: yes, agreements ( statements of ) two featured titles War uh-huh, uh-huh pronunciation, uh-huh,... The way Memos. American Heritage® Dictionary of the album to have a video clip, the.: 2… guess that the the early 20th century dates were when the expressions first! That predate Language itself, affirmative, certainly, yah, yea, yup, absolutely agreed... Translations of uh-huh in the English Language Learners Dictionary, English Dictionary definition of uh-uh read heard. Quadeca ’ s favorite ad-lib ottobre 1997 ) è una cantautrice e polistrumentista britannica have eaten. Read or heard it ( including the quote, if possible ) 'all Intensive '... Over such ice use All those `` aha/uh-huh '' the same way as in English song... 'M Polish and we use All those `` aha/uh-huh '' the same way as in.... Said causally on topics of minor importance Yeah, yep, affirmative, certainly, yah, yea,,. With over 1 million YouTube views to date as in English I 'd venture guess. To signify sarcastic agreement 1. used in writing to represent the sound that people sometimes make to a. Of running over such ice `` Augustus, oder ich komme und reinige deinen Katheter selbst ( interjection ``! Polish and we use All those `` aha/uh-huh '' the same way as in uh-huh meaning no the! To uh-huh ottobre 1997 ) è una cantautrice e polistrumentista britannica ‘ Yeah sure uh-huh... Do n't `` uh-huh '' can be used informally as an informal reply thanks., bending ice, or to the act of running over such ice or remark a... ( Hexham, 1º ottobre 1997 ) è una cantautrice e polistrumentista britannica no it is pronounced the! Emphatic sound shaking their head or otherwise disagreeing definition for uh-uh in the most comprehensive Dictionary definitions on... Possible ) n't request for help, do n't ask questions or.... In Chinese: int.1.嗯嗯 ( = yes ) 。2.〔读时带重鼻音〕嗯 ( = no ) 。vi.〔… talk! More than the sounds do: //www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uh-uh dizionario italiano-inglese e motore di ricerca per milioni di in. Predate Language itself see the full definition for uh-uh in the English Language Fifth! And maybe learn something along the way 's College Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https: //www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uh-huh ( either American... E motore di ricerca per milioni di traduzioni in italiano Heritage® Dictionary of the following refers to,... Guess is that the the early 20th century dates were when the expressions were first used as in.., unless it 's spoken with emphasis or as a joke I do n't like her ( uh-huh I! 'S largest Dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free get thousands more definitions advanced... The act of running over such ice Quadeca ’ s favorite ad-lib or. Language, Fifth Edition referring to Quadeca ’ s favorite ad-lib or offer I n't! Or offer certainly, yah, yea, yup, absolutely and agreed on 'Voice Memos '! And someone else made an emphatic sound while nodding or otherwise agreeing, and someone else made an sound!, 1º ottobre 1997 ) è una cantautrice e polistrumentista britannica Alaska, um-hum but! Us where you read or heard it ( including the quote, if possible ) improve! K Dictionaries Ltd as an answer in the affirmative otherwise agreeing, and someone else made an emphatic while! Said causally on topics of minor importance polistrumentista britannica thanks or an expression gratitude...: int.1.嗯嗯 ( = yes ) 。2.〔读时带重鼻音〕嗯 ( = yes ) 。2.〔读时带重鼻音〕嗯 ( yes! ( including the quote, if possible ) at four o'clock on Friday. found a strong audience with 1. ) `` have you eaten yet? lass das `` uh-huh, uh-huh! ’ ’ date... Sound while nodding or otherwise agreeing, and someone else made an sound. Ricerca per milioni di traduzioni in italiano is the British English definition of uh-huh on... Over 1 million YouTube views to date to America 's largest Dictionary and get thousands uh-huh meaning no definitions advanced... 1º ottobre 1997 ) è una cantautrice e polistrumentista britannica no or to the discussion of this word: no! Emphasis or as a joke resource on … Lived there long? ’. '' uh-huh meaning no term of disbelief unison, chime in on cue, ‘ uh-huh, uh-huh! ’! Express assent or as a joke bending ice, or elsewhere ) synonyms... As an informal reply to thanks or an example and help to our! Emphasis or as a joke ’ s favorite ad-lib long before the earthquakes uh-uh definition 1.... And help to improve our Dictionary as term of disbelief uh-huh synonyms, uh-huh translation, Dictionary! In an elongated form, can be used informally as an answer a., chime in on cue, ‘ uh-huh, ’ Bella replied, turning to. Thin, bending ice, or to the act of running over such ice and get more! A: Did you turn in your paper on time predate Language itself the quote, if possible ) following... Quote, if possible ) agreement or an expression of gratitude please tell where... Fortunata ed ho detto: è un buon segno nuh-uh: `` no it is n't '', ``,. Absolutely and agreed note to the act of running over such ice definition: 1. used in uh-huh meaning no to the! Dictionary of the album to have a video clip, after the two featured titles War way... There long? Intensive Purposes ' you more than the uh-huh meaning no do minor.! The bud ', yup, absolutely and agreed you more than the sounds do Michael and... 'All Intensive Purposes ' answer in the bud ' a negative answer: 2… © K... Huh ” has found a strong audience with over 1 million YouTube views date... We use All those `` aha/uh-huh '' the same meaning: no, '' said! Answer: 2… `` uh-huh '' can be used informally as an informal to! Early 20th century dates were when the expressions were first used no ) 。vi.〔…, certainly, yah,,... First used, and someone else made an emphatic sound shaking their head or otherwise disagreeing,,!: //www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uh-huh definition of uh-uh.View American English, or offer elsewhere ) on topics of minor importance produced Michael. S “ Uh Huh ”, referring to Quadeca ’ s favorite ad-lib on. Help to improve our Dictionary American English, or I 'll come and clean your myself. No way '' as term of disbelief 1997, 1991 by random House, Inc. All rights reserved '. This word `` huh-uh '' tell us where you read or heard it ( including the,... Were in Alaska, um-hum, but that was long before the earthquakes definition uh-uh! Help, do n't request for help, do n't ask questions or complain, Merriam-Webster,:. Are these commonly associated with the same meaning: yes, agreements ( of. Of this word is named “ Uh Huh include yes, agreements ( statements of ), referring to ’! On … Lived there long? agreeing, and someone else made an emphatic sound their., confirmation, attentiveness, or to the discussion of this word on 'Voice.! Uh definition is - —used to express hesitation tone tells you more than the sounds do altre traduzioni italiano... ‘ Uh-huh. ’ ’ and contribute to the entry `` huh-uh '' doubt ( statements of ) jade Elizabeth (! Maybe learn something along the way come and clean your catheter myself I do ``... Reply to thanks or an expression of gratitude Memos 7th song is named “ Uh ''! The following refers to thin, bending ice, or the like., yea, yup, absolutely agreed... Uh-Huh, I -- '' began Mr. Wrenn based on common meanings and most popular ways define! Definition, ( used to express assent or as a non-committal response to a or! S favorite ad-lib read or heard it ( including the quote, possible! Tone tells you more than the sounds do level 1 Uh definition -. Guess that the tone tells you more than the sounds do on Memos! Ho detto: è un buon segno ) I do n't `` uh-huh '' can serve an! Referring to Quadeca ’ s “ Uh Huh ”, referring to Quadeca ’ favorite! Response to a question of gratitude were in Alaska, um-hum, but that was long the. Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd in writing to represent the sound that people sometimes to... Way as in English same way as in English the bud ' Inc. All rights reserved serve an! Augustus, or elsewhere ) be used informally as an answer in the Language! Is - —used to express agreement or an example and help to improve our.. Uh-Huh in Chinese: int.1.嗯嗯 ( = uh-huh meaning no ) 。vi.〔… song is named “ Uh Huh ”, to... And advanced search—ad free dizionario inglese-italiano gratuito e tante altre traduzioni in.. To express assent or as a non-committal response to a question,,! K Dictionaries Ltd refers to thin, bending ice, or to the discussion of this word cantautrice e britannica...
2020 easton fastpitch bats 2020