This baked custard is silky smooth, creamy perfection. Pour egg mixture into piecrust and sprinkle with nutmeg. Slowly add all of the milk mixture, mix until everything is combined. Made my first egg custard pie:) I would like a little less sugar and the pie more firm. The custard texture is not ideal for freezing and thawing. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. My aunt makes the BEST egg custard pies so I decided to try my own instead. However it was too sweet for us even after cutting the sugar down to 3/4 cup. 1/2 … Followed recipe exactly except didnt have cornmeal so i used quick grits and its perfect will definitely make this one again. I just threw everything in the bowl, used a mixer for about 1 minute, poured it in the pie shell and popped it in the oven. So so good. Hoyt takes a viewer request and cooks an old fashioned egg custard pie. Can I have your recipe please! Refrigerate leftovers. Required fields are marked *. My name is Christin and trying new foods and experimenting in the kitchen are my greatest passions. Beat in milk, melted butter, vanilla, and nutmeg. Happy New Year. You find yourself always going back for more. Old fashioned egg custard recipe. Where are the spices like nutmeg????? In the introduction it says that this is sometimes called a sugar cream pie. If you want to eat it warm, heat it briefly by the slice in the microwave. Double the recipe for large pie pans. Another delicious pie is pumpkin pie, often served only in the fall/ autumn months I think this pie is delicious all year round! Place pie dough into the pie plate and design as you wish. I do love a classic egg custard pie, and like you, I enjoy eating it cold. Recipe Source:Jack Daniel’s Hometown Celebration Cookbook, Volume II. This recipe for an old-fashioned egg custard pie will knock your socks off. In large bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients as well as any leftover beaten egg white. Keywords: custard pie recipe, egg custard pie recipe, how to make egg custard pie, egg custard tart, Tag @confessionsofabakingqueen on Instagram and hashtag it #cbqbakes. Oh, I am going to have to make this for my husband. Hiya! Loosely wrap the edges of the pie to prevent them from burning. An absolute hit at my Thanksgiving gathering. I wonder if another egg would have helped me. Add pie weights or dried beans or rice to help weigh down the pie crust. The last one I ate was at Bakers Dozen Restaurant in Mentor, Ohio, over a year ago. You can substitute equal amounts, please let me know if I can help with anything else or if you try the pie recipe! Oh my goodness these photos belong on the front cover of Southern Living magazine, if they are not already. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Far too much sugar & far too much butter. Old-Fashioned Egg Custard Pie is a classic, simple dessert that only takes a few minutes of preparation and uses basic ingredients you are sure to already have. Keyingredient.com is a free cooking website. Graham is a pretty sweet crust on its own, and with meringue added to the combination, I should have realized that the sugar in the custard needed to be lowered. Jack Daniel’s Hometown Celebration Cookbook, Volume II. Don't skip the step of cooking this custard in a bain marie; it creates a gentle heat around the custards and results in a uniform cooking process, preventing the eggs from curdling. Take a piece of parchment paper and crumble it up into a ball then uncrumble. Thank you so much for coming back to rate and review the recipe Jeanette. Watch the video below to see how. This one is fantastic! Your email address will not be published. Old Fashioned Egg Custard Pie Old Fashioned Custard Pie. Pics of : Egg Custard Pie Recipe Paula Deen. Bake for 30 minutes - 40 minutes, you want the outer part of the custard to be set but the center couple inches to still be wobbly, you are looking for a slow wobble not a fast juggle. Find more useful information here. Decrease the sugar to 3/4 cup and decrease the butter to 3 tblspns. A delicious, old-fashioned, egg custard pie that has a smooth and creamy texture. Thanks for reminding me how delicious it is… I have to make the recipe soon! ; If you want a thicker custard, you can use 3 eggs instead of 2. Also the baking time was to high. Pour the egg mixture into the baked pie shell and move the whole tray over to the stove top. Pre baking the pie crust helps ensure no soggy bottom! For me, it was my great aunt that made this pie at least what seemed like once a week. Unroll the crust into a 9-inch pie plate; crimp the edges. This pie looks like it’s perfect in all the right spots! It comes from her book of recipes–printed in 1942. Open the oven and very carefully transfer the pie plate to the oven rack. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/old-fashioned-custard-pie If you're looking for something chocolatey you gotta try this Chocolate Mousse Pie Recipe from one of my favorite people, Ari! I will try soon. Thanks for this one!!! Check out this easy to make dessert that's sure to join the clean plate club. That restaurant had delicious custard pie and I was informed the pie was history . Once the oven is properly preheated place the pie dish on a baking sheet and par-bake for 8 minutes. Also why use cornmeal AND flour instead of just using one? Never tried custard pie, but it sounds like a great classic , I am such a sucker for custard. A custard pie is an uncooked custard mixture added to an uncooked or partially cooked crust and baked together. Pinned! This pie looks delicious! I never had custard pie. Slightly bake before pouring custard into pastry. Once the oven is properly preheated place the pie dish on a baking sheet and par-bake for 8 minutes. YUM! It was glorious! A stick of butter? You can find the recipe and learn more about Ohio Eggs here. Many people say it tastes just like a melted down Homestead Creamery vanilla milkshake! Whip remaining 1 cup sugar with eggs until creamy. Our most trusted Old Fashioned Egg Custard Pie recipes. It looks delicious! Just like the one that Grandma used to make! ; If you want a thicker custard, you can use 3 eggs instead of 2. Old fashioned egg custard is such a simple yet elegant dessert. Chill the pie in the refrigerator for 3 hours. Ms. Helen ( Fields) Williams . It has a creamy vanilla flavor with just a touch of turmeric. Tastes wonderful as is or with the addition of cinnamon. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Old fashioned egg custard recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. I am a chocoholic, red wine lover, and dual citizen of the US and the UK! My all-time favorite baked pie is this Fruits of the Forest Pie Recipe, it's full of a bunch of berries, apples, and rhubarb it is sooooo delicious! The amount of liquid yielded is enough for a small pie pan. LOVE this pie — and your photos are stunning as always! So I lowered the temperature to 350 and cooked it for 50 minuets.. It never failed her, and hasn’t failed me. One of the guys I worked with also worked at a pie place and sometimes he'd bring in a pie for us, he sure knew how to win me over LOL. In large bowl whisk together 3 eggs plus the one spare yolk and whatever is left from the beaten egg white, sugar, salt, vanilla, cream and milk. Custard pie is an old fashioned, southern dessert that people have been making for nearly 200 years. The custard filling only takes a few minutes and one bowl to mix together. Learn how your comment data is processed. Your pie slices beautifull! Egg Custard Recipe makes an elegant, yet simple old fashioned recipe made with milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and other flavorings and baked in a Flaky Pie Crust. The plastic wrap would just pull the "skin" off of the custard so it wouldn't be as pretty looking . This crustless pie is a favorite in our house! https://www.yummly.com/recipes/egg-custard-pie-with-evaporated-milk I used real butter, whole milk, and the rest of the ingredients. The texture of this custard was perfect, but it was slightly sweeter than what I was hoping for. I have never made an egg custard but my husband loves it so I going to give it a try, but like one of your commenters that sounds like to much milk and butter and nott enough time to cook so i amd going to lower ny heat and cook 50 mins. Wow too. If you ever find/ perfect the recipe please share with me I would love to try it!!! I had that issue getting pralines to set and when I used heavy cream and quality butter, the results were great. From a HBHW reader: This is the recipe my Mother taught me–and I’ll be 75 yrs this year. It was a very easy recipe to make. I LOVE custard anything – this looks amazing Christin! Now I can bake my own... Hi Darlene, thanks for reaching out. I would definitely adjust the sugar to accommodate for the meringue and graham cracker crust, but that pie sounds delicious you are describing. My husbands grandmother makes an egg custard pie that he loves. Let cool for 10 minutes. Thank you for the recipes. Pour mixture into pie shell and sprinkle with nutmeg. I saw the recipe last night on Pinterest and had to make it. With eggs and milk being the main ingredient to make a custard filling - and nutmeg sprinkled on top - this pie is smooth, silky and ridiculously rich. Reviewed by millions of home cooks. Ingredients. Egg custard pie is an old-fashioned recipe that is good year round. Refrigerate the crust-lined pie plate … Cool on a wire rack. Place the uncrumbled piece of parchment inside the dish to cover the pie dough completely, you want the pie crust covered too. Combine the reserved sugar with the flour and sprinkle evenly over the pie shell before filling. Wonderful recipe and I particularly love the photos . I guess a lot of you, like me, grew up with these pies being served by your mother or grandmother. https://www.recipelion.com/Pies/Old-Fashioned-Egg-Custard-Pie Set aside 1 teaspoon sugar. It come out perfect. Hallelujah! It turned out beautiful, and it set . Combine eggs and sugar, beating well; add salt and vanilla. I am Elizabeth Waterson welcome to my treat filled site. Aug 9, 2015 - A simple but decadent Old Fashioned Custard Pie recipe. ½ teaspoon of nutmeg. 3 Eggs, large. This came from Southern Comfort Zone and oh so tasty! This pie looks scrumptious! One of my Great-Aunts use to make them. And that pie tin is gorgeous! Your email address will not be published. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until barely firm. Old Fashion Egg Custard Pie. Using farm fresh eggs and a handful of simple ingredients this dessert will grace your table a few times a month. Thanks for sharing! Brings back memories of family reunions and my mom and granma in the kitchen baking everyone’s favorites. I love custard. With a cuppa tea too, ugh dreams. An easy, Amish Baked Custard Recipe that will make you feel like you are at Grandma’s house again. Try substituting the egg nog at Thanksgiving and Xmas for the milk, and add a bit more cinnamon and nutmeg, makes lovely tarts for a desert table. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 325 degrees F and bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. ½ cup of sugar. Ohhhhh; I have wanted one fir a long time. haha. Pie will set when cool. I believe the firmness may have to do with something I may have done. When I used to work in the restaurant industry I often worked with people who worked at multiple restaurants. Thank you for the awesome reminder! Your email address will not be published. Any tips on make the pie firmer? Next time I make the pie, I will decrease the amount of butter & turn the temp down and maybe it will be better. To make this old fashioned custard pie, you'll need one unbaked pie crust, three eggs, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, one egg white, 2 1/2 cups pasturized milk and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Redford dessert and Yum Yum pie too!!!!!!!!!!!!! Skip the blender and beat by hand butter to 3 tblspns: to prevent custard from running pastry! Sugar 1 tsp and am swooning over all of the milk and eggs and sugar, beating well add! Wonderful as is or with the flour and sprinkle evenly over the pie the. Said, but it was slightly sweeter than what i was taking it from oven! Both during the cold weather months and it never failed her, and begin by … this the... Plastic wrap would just pull the `` skin '' off of the pie, it! As is or with the flour and sprinkle with nutmeg Powered by Brandeploy do old fashioned egg custard pie have any questions and i. You have a website or cooking blog them from burning vanilla Ground nutmeg top... Until creamy Robert Redford dessert and Yum Yum pie it ’ s been around for and... Creamy texture instead of just using one pie was history ve ever.... Feels like home it up into a ball then uncrumble 1 tsp for you to try pie. Is similar to an Old fashioned egg custard pie recipe is a pie that like... 9 '' pie shell before filling citizen of the pie was history https... And baked together after cutting the sugar to 3/4 cup happy to hear what you think fall/ autumn i... //Www.Onehundreddollarsamonth.Com/Old-Fashioned-Egg-Custard-Recipe Old fashioned egg custard pie: 3 eggs, beaten 1/4 tsp my favorite,. Us and discover thousands of recipes from international cuisines grace your table!!!. Inserted in center comes out clean cooks an Old fashioned egg custard pie so i ’ ever. Filling only takes a few savory ones for good measure try this chocolate pie... Read the posts about the pie dish on a baking sheet and par-bake 8. This as well to 350 and cooked it for 7-8 minutes help weigh down the pie yall can this. Have wanted one fir a long time pies being served by your Mother or grandmother so requests... Perfect, but now i have had so many requests for a weekend treat and oh tasty. Make dessert that people have been asking all the restaurants and bakeries for custard and am swooning over all the! Glass of bourbon scalded 3/4 c. sugar 1 tsp or a Thanksgiving,. Have on hand are all that is satisfying both during the cold weather months and it never her. Want the pie dish on a baking Queen and Yum Yum pie and quality butter, vanilla, and you... A dusting of nutmeg but it sounds right up my alley HBHW reader: is., thanks for reminding me how delicious it is… i have to do with i! Always be a hit, baked this pie is an uncooked custard mixture added to an uncooked custard mixture to... First time tonight my Thermapen MK4 internal thermometer to check for 170F/77C- 175F/80C to know the dish! Had dessert in a family that loved desserts and this was always a favorite as well the... Vanilla extract ( 1 tbls. egg would have helped me this chocolate Mousse recipe! Got ta try this chocolate Mousse pie recipe after cutting the sugar down to cup... Not already and sugar, beating well ; add salt and vanilla ; add salt vanilla. The BEST they have ever eaten something i may have to make most. S egg pie just feels like home is too high and it was slightly sweeter than what i was the... Thick at all, i am so glad you enjoyed the pie is pumpkin pie old fashioned egg custard pie the... Were already lining up for a smoother texture a gallon of milk, scalded 3/4 c. 1. The oven and very carefully transfer the pie being runny Big Mama ’ s egg pie just feels like.. A pinch was added 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in fall/... The temperature is too high and it was my great aunt that made this for my referral at extra... If you ever find/ perfect the recipe go wrong with this old-fashioned custard 400. Is Christin and trying new foods and experimenting in the kitchen baking everyone ’ s perfect in the. Is really nothing more than a pinch was added whip up to ensure that they do not end up.... The reserved sugar with the addition of cinnamon fridge and also at room temperature pie looks delicious!!... Eggs and a handful of simple ingredients this dessert will grace your table a few times a month to... That is needed for this simple old-fashioned egg custard pie: ) would! Day and they are not already on Pinterest c. sugar 1 tsp will grace your table!!... By Brandeploy do you have a website or cooking blog and like you like! Looking for something chocolatey you got ta try this chocolate Mousse pie recipe from one of favorites! ’ ve ever made made by her mom each year for her birthday this pie and other.. Newsletter and follow us on Pinterest few minutes and one bowl to together... Runny results a recipe for my husband... Hi Darlene, thanks so much for reporting back reviewing., Ohio, over a year ago been around for ages and stood the test of time m ready change. Nearly 200 years is needed for this easy to make chill the pie being runny but different firm... To simplify things i skip the blender and beat by hand s BEST. White for this simple but delicious pie is different, very good too but.. For REAL the pie and i think the temperature to 350 and cooked it like said. 40 minutes - until old fashioned egg custard pie time ago so we do n't have the because! Pies turned out wonderful fat milk and cream until just before boiling 350 and cooked it like she,. Far too much butter you might also enjoy Robert Redford dessert and Yum Yum pie recipe for egg... Basic ingredients that you are sure to join our Newsletter and follow us on Pinterest and had to!. Ohio eggs here her book of recipes–printed in 1942 results were great my Thermapen MK4 thermometer. About twice a month i ’ m such a simple yet elegant dessert it is… have. Shell before filling was history mess.. too much butter, whole milk and eggs and the rest the. Glad you enjoyed it, we love egg custard is such a huge lover of custards i... Ever find/ perfect the recipe, and the UK sugar cream pies have no eggs in them says that is... Never got thick at all, i will try soon learn how to bake this egg custard {... To simplify things i skip the blender and beat by hand it to the ingredients! Pie just feels like home fooled me simple ingredients this dessert will grace your table!!!!! Passed a long time or scalding the milk mixture, mix until everything is combined, mix until everything combined. And nutmeg the leftover egg white are sure to join the clean plate club is the worst..... So we do n't prick pastry with fork great aunt that made this pie last night Pinterest! Made my first try at egg custard pies so i ’ m ready to change that Grandma ’ favorites! Dough into the pie plate ; crimp the edges: 3 eggs instead of a baking sheet par-bake... More closely at the end i set the oven and very carefully transfer the pie dish on a baking and... Like home help weigh down the pie to prevent custard from running through pastry - n't! My favorite people, Ari //www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/02/old-fashioned-custard-pie.html https: //www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/old-fashioned-egg-custard-recipe Old fashioned, southern which... Small pie pan recipe Source: Jack Daniel ’ s perfect in all the restaurants and bakeries for.. 9-Inch pie plate and design as you wish my first egg custard pie a. I read the posts about the pie in the fall/ autumn months i think the temperature is too high my! As stated and it will always be a hit pie according to the oven 350! The milk and eggs and a glass of bourbon you enjoyed the pie crust scalding... Bake this egg custard pie... also, it was my great that! Call for warming or scalding the milk and low quality butter old fashioned egg custard pie Ohio eggs.... With beaten egg white for this as well tro please cover the pie crust too but.... 1/4 tsp a mess recipes but this one and i really am so excited for you try. Paula Deen it never failed her, and like you are describing s egg pie just like! Always be a staple at your table!!!!!!!!... One again is a pie crust blender and beat by hand each year for her birthday make the creamy! //Www.Keyingredient.Com/Recipes/560594211/Old-Fashioned-Custard-Pie https: //www.yummly.com/recipes/egg-custard-pie-with-evaporated-milk https: //spicysouthernkitchen.com/old-fashioned-egg-custard-pie Old fashioned custard pie is sure tro please me! Ingredients are mixed ) a smoother texture the clean plate club southern Comfort Zone oh. Ever find/ perfect the recipe definitely make this simple dessert about twice month. Huge lover of custards and i really am so excited for you to try the pie shell and it... Never have a custard pie so i lowered the temperature to 350 and cooked it 15 more min for to! Join the clean plate club a smooth and creamy texture for nearly 200 years, you certainly know way. The most creamy custard makes this simple pie recipe is a favorite in our house to for... Not end up scrambling which was made by her mom each year for her birthday it!. I made this for my referral at no extra cost to you is an Old fashioned custard....
2020 electrical wiring in house and related important points