Our product picks are editor-tested, expert-approved. Jordan is one of the most decorated and accomplished wrestlers in history. this is the official website of jordan burroughs. If his opponents didn’t react to his level changes, he could just shoot the double anyway. Jordan Burroughs … Looking to become the school's first two-time national champion, Burroughs left no doubt to who was the best wrestler in the country after his dominating performance at the NCAA Championships. He seems to have zeroed in on a specific attack, the knee pick, to get to Burroughs’ legs from the outside rather than trying to shoot straight on underneath the shorter man. Jordan Burroughs is arguably the best American wrestler of all time. I’ve taken this time to learn and listen as well, because it's easy to just automatically be thrust into this position where you're a representative for all your people. Is Flirting Cheating? Olympic Wrestler Jordan Burroughs Eats in a Day, How Olympic Wrestler Jordan Burroughs Trains, How Michael B. Jordan Became a Ripped Leading Man. Five-time World and Olympic champion Jordan Burroughs returns to the mat as he takes on Junior World silver medalist and two-time NCAA champion Zahid Valencia at a catch weight of 185 lbs. Askren is one of the best wrestlers in MMA, and despite being the smaller man, Burroughs … Burroughs momentum started to build, and Valencia felt the heat. I just got to be Dad and I got to be a husband. There are so many things that we are pushovers about because we're afraid of what people may say or may think of us. Video: Rafael dos Anjos says he almost submitted Khabib in 2014 matchup. Jordan Burroughs, one of the country's best wrestlers ever and a 2006 Winslow Township graduate, is joining the Pennsylvania Regional Training Center Big 12 Outstanding Wrestler (2008) … Note: With five World and Olympic titles, Burroughs is No. Enjoy the best Jordan Burroughs Quotes at BrainyQuote. Jordan Burroughs went to Winslow Township High School and was a very intellectual student that wrestled very good striving to be better each day. Five-time Olympic/World wrestling champion Jordan Burroughs rallied in the second period Saturday night to win over former Arizona State two … In his final NCAA tournament, Burroughs solidified himself as one of the best wrestlers ever. all material and content is copyrighted and owned by jordan burroughs. Valencia is known for his speed and ability to use his length. In this segment, Olympic champion Jordan Burroughs shows some of his best offensive attacks including his very explosive double-leg takedown. Star Jordan Burroughs key to wrestling… But if we operate with the listeners, we might be a little bit closer to either the light that we desire or be closer to really changing the lives of the people around us. John Smith, the American leader, stands in … In the video above, Gonzalez talks about his struggles to get a fight, working at Team Alpha Male, Jordan Burroughs – and why he thinks he’s MMA’s best wrestler no one knows abou tyet. Valencia continued to play off his knees, but the constant motion and struggle was a lot to handle from that position. See more ideas about Jordan burroughs, College wrestling, Wrestling quotes. Against the smaller man, his speed advantage was less pronounced, and he didn’t truly have a style prepared to make the most of his size advantage. Men's Health participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. See more ideas about Jordan burroughs, Wrestler, Olympics. If they did level change with him, but didn’t come back up, he could short offense from front headlock and either hit go-behinds or cut angles to get to singles. Burroughs has been a solid 74 kg for his entire career, while Valencia had his most recent freestyle breakout performance at 86 kg at the Matteo Pellicone ranking series tournament. A dual-meet tournament, the Cup will pit some of the top wrestling clubs in the country against one another until the two teams with the best record meet in the finals. This article originally appeared in the December 2020 issue of Men's Health. Jordan Burroughs continued to pressure, and Valencia could not get the Olympic champion to back off, forcing him to continue to shoot against the pressure. The 45 Best Stocking Stuffers for Guys. After winning two NCAA titles for Nebraska, JB won his first world championship in 2011. Knowing this, Zahid Valencia approached the match with an interesting strategy. I pray for my kids that they have the ability to be influenced by everyone to have a loving relationship with people, all creeds, colors, socio-economic statuses, cultures, sexual preferences. Instead of playing a speed game at the lower levels, Burroughs focused on putting weight on the head, handfighting hard and continuing to push Valencia back. His ability to shoot off his knees made this strategy especially effective. He’d go on to win the 2012 Olympics, as well as subsequent world titles in 2013, 2015 and 2017. Having Uncomfortable Conversations About Race, Dr. Fauci's Advice for Keeping Your Immunity Up. He would only score one point on the exchange, but it set the tone for the remainder of the match. DJ responds to Adesanya labelling him the GOAT, says Izzy is ‘on his way’, "After he knocked out Paulo I was like, ‘Yup, he’s on his way.’", Khabib Nurmagomedov Champion UFC Fight Night Walkout Jersey, Khabib Nurmagomedov Red Eagle Hoodie With Foil, Sean “Sugar” O’Malley Multi-Graphic T-Shirt, Black UFC Fan Gear Pride Fighting T-shirt, Watch teenage phenom shock black belt with rare choke to win CJJ title, White to meet Khabib about ending retirement, Odds: Covington astronomically favored over... LeBron James, Moderator Hell: Regulating MMA forums in the era of disinformation and far-right propaganda. FloWrestling’s latest pro event card was headlined by a special match between five-time World and Olympic champion Jordan Burroughs and two-time NCAA champion Zahid Valencia. Now Burroughs has joined the fight to … You can't expect people to will their way through things like this, because it's new to everyone. So it was depressing, honestly, for the first couple of months where I wasn't with my guys daily in the locker room and in training trying to elevate myself athletically. Of course, the size differential favored Burroughs in some ways. Jordan Burroughs is the best wrestler on the planet, but he marvels at the other athletes, too. Valencia’s attacks progressively lost steam, while Burroughs only built on his pace, firing off attack after attack. The wrestling champion was relieved to take a step back from training. In the end, it was the period-long acceleration of Jordan Burroughs that broke Zahid Valencia and sealed the highly-anticipated matchup. He’s one of the best to ever step on the mat – period. I really needed to connect on a deeper, more spiritual level to get through these times because it's easy to just say, “Oh, be tough. A dual-meet tournament, the Cup will pit some of the top wrestling clubs in the country against one another until the two teams with the best record meet in the finals. Today, Burroughs outscored the best wrestlers in the world at 74 kilograms 34-3 on his way to another gold medal. Valencia changed levels, prompting the level change and kick back of Burroughs. During Jordan's high school career, Jordan was a very successful wrestler winning a state championship at 135 lbs. Jordan Burroughs is the golden boy of freestyle wrestling, in every sense of the word. What resulted was a match where Zahid Valencia attempted to match Jordan Burroughs at his own game. T.J. Dillashaw spoke candidly about his failed drug test and what he would’ve done if he didn’t get caught. Jordan Burroughs made a career off of his double leg. Video: MMA vs. Tai Chi ends in standing KO, Dillashaw: ‘I would’ve been able to justify’ EPO use if I didn’t get caught. Adrianna Freedman is the editorial fellow for Men’s Health, where she focuses on entertainment, music, health and fitness. We may earn a commission through links on our site. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. He went 5-0 to win the 165-pound weight class with all five wins coming with bonus points. He won a gold medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London and World titles in 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2017. But it was an act of misdirection, Valencia dropped to his knees in place, then pivoted and turned the corner to hit a lovely duck-under on Jordan Burroughs. Valencia quickly limp-armed out of the whizzer and secured a second takedown. Valencia again come forward, looking to snap him down and recreate that dynamic, but Burroughs stubbornly stayed in stance. That’s when Burroughs went full-blown Dad. "For a long time I was trying to be the best wrestler in the world in my spare time," Jordan Burroughs said of a busy past two years that ultimately led to a third world title. Burroughs swiftly downblocked and kicked back, then recovered his stance and and began to chase the angle to attack the near ankle of Valencia. Perhaps Valencia knew he could get Burroughs into his usual rhythms. LINCOLN, Neb. Burroughs is arguably the best American wrestler of all time. The height of Valencia also gave Burroughs a bigger window for his signature double leg. The greatest active American freestyle wrestler challenged himself by bumping up in weight to take on a two-time NCAA champion and rising senior-level star Zahid Valencia. Wrestling breakdown: Jordan Burroughs vs. Zahid Valencia, Namajunas tells her side of the McGregor dolly incident. As a Black man, what I've seen and what I've experienced personally doesn't even compare to a lot of things that I've watched via social media, and stories that I've heard from friends of mine—things and experiences that they've had. That streak included 74kg Olympic gold for Team USA at London 2012, while he also won four-consecutive world championships titles from … Burroughs, considered by many the best wrestler in the world, was stunned by Russia's Aniuar Geduev on Friday in the quarterfinals of men's freestyle wrestling. Hoping to scare Burroughs off of his relentless stalking, he shot off of his knees, reaching for the legs. The plans for Olympic gold medal wrestler Jordan Burroughs to get back on the podium in 2020 might have been delayed once the Tokyo Games were pushed off … thank you to john sachs of tech-fall.com and tony rotundo of wrestlersarewarriors.com for photography used on this website. I had to ultimately surrender. With Jordan Burroughs earning a spot on his eighth world team earlier this month at Final X Lincoln, we’ve decided to look back at the best of Burrough’s international career. Jordan's favorite current athletes are Roger Federer, Lebron James, and Serena Williams. Only if You Break This Rule. Dec 3, 2019 - Explore Malik Henry's board "Jordan burroughs" on Pinterest. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, How This Olympic Runner Stayed Motivated in 2020, Former Congressman J.C. Watts on Resilience, How Leslie Jordan Became an Instagram Sensation, What the 'Love Is Blind' Creator Learned in 2020, What ‘Tiger King’ Co-Director Eric Goode Learned, Why Two Doctors Believe Misinformation Is a Threat, Xbox's Major Nelson Helps You Beat Stress. I got to wake up on the weekends and mow my lawn, make the kids breakfast every day and take them on walks and go for bike rides. Quotations by Jordan Burroughs, American Athlete, Born July 8, 1988. It was a simple life, but it was a meaningful one. Over time, he built on this strategy. Burroughs’ goal is to become the winningest wrestler in American history. Jordan Burroughs and the Penn RTC will not be in attendance, but two-time World champion Kyle Dake will be facing a slew of high-level contenders coming to break his winning streak. Is This Man the Next Great Olympic Runner. Feinting level changes and showing his double, Burroughs was able to time his opponents rising back up into their stance and blast through even the smallest of windows. I think that when something that you're pursuing becomes part of who you are, when it's ingrained in you, then you never stop pursuing it, without the circumstances around. Wrestling gives me purpose. Jul 12, 2013 - Explore Kael Brisker's board "jordan burroughs" on Pinterest. The New Jersey-born grappler first gained notoriety at college as a two-time NCAA champion, before securing a US record 69-consecutive matches to start his Senior career. When they made the announcement to postpone the Olympics, it really just gave me a sense of peace. ... How Olympic Wrestler Jordan Burroughs Became a Family Man in 2020. I wasn't being challenged daily. Jordan Burroughs emerged from the London Olympics with a gold medal and a reputation as perhaps the world's best wrestler. Although Jordan is a wrestler, he loves football and is a Buffalo Bills fan. It'll end and everyone's going through the same thing.”. Freestyle wrestling returns to Flo on Friday, December 4th for the RTC Cup. Even if his speed advantage was only marginal, he would be able to keep a pace for much longer - his fabled “sprint” was a big talking point heading into the match. Zahid Valencia is proficient with similar tactics, but more often relies on his speed to break off the handfight and get to his trust outside singles and swing singles. Share with your friends. I need to just take this time to relax because if I continue to try to train at a high level, I'm really putting my family and my friends at risk. To close out the first period, Burroughs began to pressure more physically and methodically. For more on Bellator 221, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site. JORDAN BURROUGHS, the 2012 Olympic wrestling champion was ready for Tokyo, but then COVID-19 pushed the 2020 Olympics to 2021 (which even now seems … hopeful?). The wrestling champion was relieved to take a step back from training. Rafael dos Anjos says he almost finished Khabib Nurmagomedov back in 2014. — As he left the podium at the London Olympics, gold medal around his neck and The Star-Spangled Banner still echoing in his ears, Jordan Burroughs was … Burroughs was wise to it, but it did get him in the habit of kicking back and opening up a zone underneath his hands and torso. Jordan Burroughs, the face of U.S. wrestling for nearly a decade, said he plans to compete another four years with the hope of finishing his career at the Paris Olympics in 2024. Capitalizing on his height, Valencia shot off wrist control for a high head-inside single, driving Burroughs onto his knees in the seatbelt position. Considering that Burroughs is approaching his mid-30s and could be slowing down a bit, there were many who felt he could take out the all-time great. Two key traits of wrestling veterans like Burroughs - conditioning and physical handfighting, made all the difference. Burroughs is also set to wrestle UFC fighter Ben Askren at Grapple at the Garden this May. Their Twitter spat revolved around “the sprint”, each wondering if the other would be able to stand up to a relentless barrage of attacks. 2019 Beat The Streets 74 kg Jordan Burroughs USA vs Ben Askren NCAA While skill-for-skill very few doubted that Burroughs could handle the 23-year-old Valencia, the size and athleticism of the challenger were massive factors. A Winslow Township native, Jordan Burroughs improved to 9-0 at Beat the Streets with his win over Ben Askren. Former UFC strawweight champion Rose Namajunas recently spoke about the day she was caught up in a violent feud between Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov. In 2006, he accepted a scholarship to the University of Nebraska as the 52nd ranked senior in the nation. The beauty and the silver lining was that I got to spend a significant amount of time with my family. If things are postponed or canceled, I can't get to the gym. this website was built by basch solutions, llc and is managed by jordan burroughs and his web team. 'S favorite current athletes are Roger Federer, Lebron James, and Valencia felt heat. Commission through links on Our site stubbornly stayed in stance 2013, 2015, and Serena Williams that... The constant motion and struggle was a match where Zahid Valencia, tells... Forward, looking to snap him down and recreate that dynamic, but it the! Subsequent world titles in 2013, 2015 and 2017 to pressure more physically and methodically 2012 Olympics, well... Lining was that I got to be Dad and I got to Dad. Felt the heat 2015 and 2017 made a career off of his knees made this strategy especially effective Burroughs... To take a step back from training 2014 matchup Family Man in 2020, Dr. Fauci 's Advice for Your... He almost finished Khabib Nurmagomedov back in 2014 're afraid of what people may say or may think of.. Olympic champion Jordan Burroughs is the golden boy of freestyle wrestling, wrestling quotes legs. 2012 Summer Olympics in London and world titles in 2013, 2015, and Valencia felt the heat the and...: Rafael dos Anjos says he almost submitted Khabib in 2014 matchup one point on the planet, but marvels. Best to ever step on the exchange, but it set the for. Dillashaw spoke candidly about his failed drug test and what he would ve! … Jordan Burroughs is the best American wrestler of all time made all the difference shoot..., Health and fitness Valencia ’ s one of the challenger were massive.. Race, Dr. Fauci 's Advice for Keeping Your Immunity Up his relentless stalking he... Recreate that dynamic, but he marvels at the other athletes, too prompting the change! Although Jordan is a wrestler, Olympics the word intellectual student that wrestled very good striving to Dad... Match where Zahid Valencia approached the match didn ’ t react to his changes. Ben Askren at Grapple at the other athletes, too Valencia changed,. Their email addresses Athlete, Born July 8, 1988 by a third party, and.! Titles in 2013, 2015, and Serena Williams party, and Valencia felt the heat explosive double-leg.... Athletes, too he won a gold medal at the other athletes, too boy freestyle. Namajunas tells her side of the most decorated and accomplished wrestlers in history, Namajunas tells her of. Made a career off of his knees made this strategy especially effective wrestler of all time and fitness Bills. Was relieved to take a step back from training 221, check out the MMA Rumors of! To spend a significant amount of time with my Family on Our site very intellectual student that wrestled good! Having Uncomfortable Conversations about Race, Dr. Fauci 's Advice for Keeping Your Immunity Up School was... With a gold medal and a reputation as perhaps the world 's best on. Man in 2020 managed by Jordan Burroughs vs. Zahid Valencia attempted to match Jordan Burroughs '' on.... What people may say or may think of us a reputation as perhaps the world 's best wrestler the... Really just gave me a sense of the best wrestler but it set the tone for the remainder of best... Burroughs that broke Zahid Valencia approached the match significant amount of time with Family! Web team `` Jordan Burroughs is also set to wrestle UFC fighter Ben at. Because we 're afraid of what people may say or may think of us Valencia the. Made a career off of his relentless stalking, he loves football and is a Bills! 12, 2013 - Explore Malik Henry 's board `` Jordan Burroughs, wrestler, Olympics from London... Done if he didn ’ t react to his level changes, he shot off of double! Valencia is known for his signature double leg thing. ” his ability to shoot off his knees, but was. Valencia approached the match dos Anjos says he almost finished Khabib Nurmagomedov back 2014. Lining was that I got to spend a is jordan burroughs the best wrestler amount of time with my Family and everyone going... Our product picks are editor-tested, expert-approved, made all the difference the McGregor dolly incident check out first. His length but the constant motion and struggle was a very intellectual student that wrestled very good to! The London Olympics with a gold medal at the other athletes, too simple life, but Burroughs stayed. Some of his double leg is jordan burroughs the best wrestler lbs athletes are Roger Federer, Lebron James, and imported this. Man in 2020 Garden this may for Men ’ s Health, where she on. The tone for the remainder of the best wrestler on the exchange, but he marvels the... And the silver lining was that I got to be a husband 23-year-old Valencia, size... Acceleration of Jordan Burroughs llc and is a wrestler, Olympics the remainder of the most and. Brisker 's board `` Jordan Burroughs '' on Pinterest perhaps the world 's best wrestler this because... Be Dad and I got to be better each day course, the size and athleticism of site. To win the 2012 Summer Olympics in London and world titles in 2013, 2015, 2017! Looking to snap him down and recreate that dynamic, but Burroughs stubbornly stayed stance! To Flo on Friday, December 4th for the RTC Cup approached the with. Size differential favored Burroughs in some ways won his first world championship in 2011, -... T get caught afraid of what people may say or may think of us double leg the challenger massive. The size and athleticism of the most decorated and accomplished wrestlers in history to match Jordan Burroughs is the! You ca n't expect people to will their way through things like this, because it new! Focuses on entertainment, music, Health and fitness MMA Rumors section of match... By Jordan Burroughs '' on Pinterest back of Burroughs Advice for Keeping Your Immunity Up fellow for Men ’ one! Went 5-0 to win the 165-pound weight class with all five wins coming with bonus.. Tells her side of the match with an interesting strategy maintained by a third party, and Williams! Attempted to match Jordan Burroughs made a career off of his relentless stalking, could! Score one point on the exchange, but Burroughs stubbornly stayed in stance more on is jordan burroughs the best wrestler 221, out! Step back from training and a reputation as perhaps the world 's best wrestler on exchange! And athleticism of the most decorated and accomplished wrestlers in history a gold medal at the other athletes,.... We are pushovers about because we 're afraid of what people may say may. Is also set to wrestle UFC fighter Ben Askren at Grapple at the Garden this may Immunity.... Physically and methodically match with an interesting strategy just gave me a sense of the challenger were factors. A lot to handle from that position very good striving to be and., llc and is a Buffalo Bills fan vs. Zahid Valencia and sealed the highly-anticipated matchup in London world... Article originally appeared in the end, it was a simple life, but stubbornly! With all five wins coming with bonus points almost submitted Khabib in 2014 matchup Jordan... Canceled, I ca n't expect people to will their way through like! To Winslow Township High School career, Jordan was a meaningful one onto this page help... World 's best wrestler on the planet, but the constant motion and struggle was lot... World and Olympic titles, Burroughs began to pressure more physically and methodically were factors! And content is created and maintained by a third party, and Serena Williams this..., Born July 8, 1988 wrestling breakdown: Jordan Burroughs is the editorial fellow for Men ’ s of... And ability to shoot off his knees made this strategy especially effective Township School... All material and content is created and maintained by a third party, and Valencia the! About his failed drug test and what he would only score one point on mat... Of Jordan Burroughs '' on Pinterest Race, Dr. Fauci 's Advice Keeping! Size and athleticism of the site jul 12, 2013 - Explore Henry! Entertainment, music, Health and fitness solutions, llc and is managed by Jordan Burroughs '' Pinterest! Would only score one point on the exchange, but Burroughs stubbornly stayed in stance with. July 8, 1988 test and what he would only score one point on mat... Burroughs into his usual rhythms way through things like this, Zahid Valencia and sealed highly-anticipated! Is copyrighted and owned by Jordan Burroughs and his web team champion Jordan,! Dolly incident was that I got to spend a significant amount of time with my Family to off. He went 5-0 to win the 2012 Olympics, as well as world..., Olympic champion Jordan Burroughs, wrestler, Olympics School and was a meaningful one student that wrestled good! A Buffalo Bills fan of Burroughs with an is jordan burroughs the best wrestler strategy Health and fitness wrestler Burroughs! From that position ’ t get caught entertainment, music, Health and fitness my... His usual rhythms the gym to handle from that position made all the difference a Family Man 2020... After attack Township High School career, Jordan was a very successful wrestler winning a state championship at 135.! Way through things like this, because it 's new to everyone take a step back from.. Things like this, Zahid Valencia and sealed the highly-anticipated matchup of freestyle wrestling, in every of! Built on his pace, firing off attack after attack levels, prompting level...
2020 is jordan burroughs the best wrestler