Our producer is Claire Gawne and our music is ‘Ancient City’ by The Triangles. Gretchen: yeah, like people get married and then they get divorced it’s not because they don’t speak the same language, it’s because they have irreconcilable differences. 1 hr 8 min; APR 17, 2020; Episode 47: ATA meets Troublesome Terps - Live online meetup Episode 47: ATA meets Troublesome Terps - Live online meetup. And so one of the things they say, is “you need to know stuff about math and engineering and, like, aerodynamics and you also fly planes in the military and stuff”. Listen to the full episode, read the transcript, or check out the show notes. Lauren: And there’s a general kind of nerdy enthusiasm that you can often get like a glimpse of this when linguists do interviews. Lauren: So I’ve seen bits of Esperanto and I immediately think of French that’s being fed through some kind of Italian filter and then Spanish-ified. January 2020: a robo-generated episode of Lingthusiasm, Lingthusiasm Discord server, LingComm Grant, and xkcd hovertext. Wouldn’t it solve so many problems in the world if everyone just spoke the same language? Otherwise it could be a person who looks kinda like this who is not necessarily me who does this action. Each episode of Lingthusiasm has a full transcript and a show notes page with additional links, which you’re welcome to use to supplement your lesson plan. Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Carolla Digital. Gretchen: yeah, you translate something into emoji and then when you translate it back it completely loses its meaning, or you have to already understand what the source text was. Lauren: And it seems to be an idea that people continue to revisit, and revisit in different forms, and different ideas, and we’re going to touch on a few of today. It’s about Colour words around the world and inside your brain.We also posted a quote about Space Pidgin from episode 1 that became very popular. Just tone down the optimism of world peace because it would be really great as like a commercial thing if we could have international trade through this unified language". Gretchen: yeah this guy really seems like a jerk. In this episode of Lingthusiasm, Gretchen and Lauren look at the many ways that languages talk about how many of something there are, ranging from common distinctions like singular, plural, and dual, to more typologically rare forms like the trial, the paucal, and the associative plural. In this first episode of Lingthusiasm, ​Gretchen and Lauren discuss the “one language equals peace” fallacy, and whether speaking the same words means that people will necessarily agree with each other (spoiler: no). It’s been lightly edited for readability. For more teaching resources, see also the #intro linguistics and #high school tags on the blog of one of our hosts. Then we get into the week's tech news including the passings of Question 1 and Prop 22, plus what we expect from Apple's big Mac event. A transcript is available for this episode. Why do foreign astronauts have to be able to speak Russian? So people will point with an open hand which means a collection, I’m pointing at a collection of things. Esperanto is a widely spoken universal language. Lingthusiasm Parts Of Speech Check It Out Maths Reflection Literature Language Science Feelings Words 22: This, that and the other thing - determiners Lauren: Welcome to Lingthusiasm! Bonus episodes on Patreon We want to let you do more than just listen to Lingthusiasm — we want to bring you into the conversation. Lauren: So I guess the important thing is to unpack “a podcast that’s enthusiastic about linguistics”. Get an email when a new episode of Lingthusiasm comes out: To support Lingthusiasm, and listen to bonus episodes, visit, Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. In 1977 at Tenerife airport two Boeing 747s collided, and it was basically because one took off too early, because the person in the control tower and the pilot weren’t really communicating clearly. More ideas from . Lauren: and we also are really – I mean we’re not lazy, we just use the linguistic structures that we have. Lauren teaches linguistics in Australia and co-hosts the Lingthusiasm podcast with Gretchen McCulloch. I got namechecked in the hovertext of an xkcd comic this month, which may have resulted in more congratulatory messages from friends than when my book was reviewed in the New York Times, so, … Gretchen: yeah, so for example, one of the issues that comes up with emoji is how do you convey 'I’ as in the subject of a sentence? Why emoji pose no threat to the English language, Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. The other thing is people sometimes have a challenge where they’ll communicate just in emoji for a day or a week or a month or something, and they all come back and they’re like “yeah you know it was pretty easy to convey if I was happy or sad but it was really hard to say actual sentences about things going on in the world or ideas that I had”. Lauren: ah, see that’s scalloped potatoes. Except for the sounds we can't make. Conversation analysts talk about a spectrum of how we take turns in conversation: some people are more high-involvement, while other people are more high-considerateness, depending on how much time you prefer to elapse between someone else’s turn and … web series Dating Rules From My Future Self launched in January to breakup song to #futurelucy (Screencap from Dating Rules Twitter). Lingthusiasm Episode 3: Arrival of the linguists - Review of the alien linguistics movie Linguists are very excited about the movie Arrival, because it stars a linguist saving the day by figuring out how to talk with aliens. Because the idea is if you speak your non-native language then you’re sure what you’re saying and the other person can understand you better. Comments 0. The Lingthusiasm website now has a handy page that lists all of the main episodes of the show by linguistic sub-field. Lauren: you have people who have grown up in exactly the same linguistic environment. Wa… In this episode, I was joined by Elizabeth April, a paradigm shifter, truth seeker and psychic. Lauren: So Zamenhof was like a complete idealist. So like the Esperanto word for dog is something like ‘hundo’ which is a Germanic word like 'hound’ – it’s not something like 'chien’ or something like that. A weird and deep conversation about language delivered right to your ears the third Thursday of every month. Gretchen: yeah I had a had a piano teacher once who would just at point with everything with his middle finger and I was thinking “I know you’re just pointing to the stuff but I’m really distracted right now”. I was quoted in this article on Broadly at Vice: The History of Petty Memes. Recorded on September 28th 2016. Gretchen: not that successful so far, and I don’t think it’s for lack of creativity! Discovery's Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer will help you learn about your … Wouldn’t it solve so many problems in the world if everyone just spoke the same language? The award-winning Curiosity Daily podcast from Curiosity.com will help you get smarter about the world around you — every day. A podcast that’s enthusiastic about linguistics. The language of space are English and Russian? And obviously it’s very important to get your communication right if you’re on a tiny metal box circling the Earth or going somewhere. Gretchen: yeah, and you have to make someone who doesn’t know that’s what you’re intending be able to read that sentence. A disused RAF bomber base, with one of the longest runways in the country, currently covers a large area near the village of Throckmorton. And I’m like “well, yes, you can get by with gesturing if all you want to do is point at things and be a bit obnoxious”. After he escaped the war, he moved to Shanghai he changed his name to ‘Bliss’ because ‘Blitz’ wasn’t the the best for a former German prisoner. Because any language that we have, you know, even Esperanto, I don’t know maybe even Blissymbolics, can assert that it’s a language. We chose our tagline because we’re here to explore interesting things that language has to offer and especially what looking at language from a linguistics perspective can tell us about how language works. Excerpt from Episode 1 of Lingthusiasm: Speaking a single language won’t bring about world peace. And they also say, you know, you either have to arrive knowing English and Russian or they put you through an intensive language training course. We look at how linguists go about determining whether a language has tense at all, and if so, how many tenses it has, from two tenses (like English past and non-past), to three tenses (past, present, and future), to further tenses, like remote … So in Spanish you have a word like 'niño’ which can mean 'boy’ or 'child’ whereas 'niña’ means 'girl’ – but 'niños’ can mean either 'boys’ or 'children’ so you have to do like extra stuff you want to talk about a group of boys specifically. I’m reblogging this at least 50% because space creole is one of the coolest things I’ve heard about in a while. A podcast that's enthusiastic about linguistics by Gretchen McCulloch and Lauren Gawne. So much for a language of peace. DMCA; Film Streaming HD … In Episode 13 of Lingthusiasm, your host Gretchen McCulloch interviews Dr. Nicole Holliday, an Associate Professor of linguistics at Pomona Collegem about her work on the speech of American black/biracial young men, prosody and intonation, and what it means to sound black. And obviously it’s very important to get your communication right if you’re on a tiny metal box circling the Earth or going somewhere. The name Esperanto itself means “one who hopes” and this was his pseudonym – Dr. Esperanto. (Black Widow At Home), Saved by the Bell, Hillbilly Elegy, The Flight Attendant, Happiest Season, Belushi, Uncle Frank, Superintelligence, The Mystery of D.B. Gretchen: like it’s not every language, it’s just a lot of them. Lauren: English as a lingua franca these days, we have to remember, it’s because of fairly gratuitous and heinous colonial expansion by the British. Special Guest: Lauren Gawne. To celebrate, we’re asking you to introduce the show to people who would be totally into a linguistics podcast, if only they knew it existed! Gretchen: yeah, and ergativity and it just does every single weird thing you can imagine from a language – like too many of them, so it’s ridiculously complex. Gretchen is on Twitter as @GretchenAMcC and blogs at All Things Linguistic.Lauren is on Twitter as @superlinguo and blogs at Superlinguo. It’s because they were forced to many cases. Listen online, no signup necessary. Gretchen: oh, see scallop potatoes and potato scallop are the same thing for me. Gretchen: And we like that podcasts make you feel like part of a conversation. Search query Search Twitter. New episodes (free!) 49: How translators approach a text. See also the original Space Pidgin quote from Episode 1, or listen to the full episode. I should happily say that I agree and I’m perhaps more realistic about the realities of humanity when it comes to an idealistic concept like this. Australia is very linguistically homogeneous but when there’s a state-based or city-based linguistic variation in Australian English we just lose our collective shit over it. Gretchen: they were insufficiently peaceful. This episode was made to raise money for Social Bite, a social enterprise who are providing emergency food packages for people who are struggling financially during the Covid-19 outbreak – people in food poverty, and those who have lost work due to the crisis. On this week's episode we begin by staying off Twitter, breaking down demographics by county and paying by wrist. Because as anybody who has spoken Spanish or something knows, sometimes you really do want to be able to distinguish between a group that’s gender mixed or gender neutral and a group that is specifically only a plural of males. Some people have raised their children speaking Esperanto – so as far as common languages go, it’s had some success. Have they never had arguments? Gretchen: and we’ll read them out loud on this audio podcast. Listen to the episode here or wherever you get your podcasts. But the history of how people have tried is still really interesting, from constructed and symbolic communication like Blissymbols and emoji to the way astronauts communicate in the high stakes environment of the International Space Station. Like, these are various things people need to know. One of the most challenging but most rewarding things about writing the scripts for Crash Course Linguistics was honing content that I’d usually give in a 60 minute lecture down to only 10 minutes. Lauren: Another language with someone tried to capture this idea of universal communication but from a completely different perspective was Blissymbols or Blissymbolics – which were invented by a guy his name was Charles Bliss. Listened to all the episodes here and wish there were more? Welcome to the Esperanto subreddit! New episodes of Lingthusiasm come out once a month on the third Thursday, twice a month for patrons (on the first Thursday), and they’re each about half an hour long. Gretchen: so again you can see that’s not very, Romance sounding because it’s not 'et’ or some vowel-y thing and it’s not even Germanic because it’s not 'and’ or 'und’. But I’ve also heard that as a conlang it’s not considered a very good conlang. Listened to all the episodes here and wish there were more? Gretchen: Yeah, so you can think of it as our sitting down over coffee and talking about linguistics. Cooper, The Donut King, Embattled. So apparently Esperanto has all of the marks of a first conlang. If you both speak the language you’re not as fluent in then you arrive at a level where where people can be sure that the other person’s understanding and there’s kind of this hybrid English Russian language I think that’s developed not a full-fledged language but kind of a. Gretchen: this space pidgin that the astronauts need to speak with each other and I don’t know if anyone’s written a grammar of this, I hope is the case that someone has written a grammar of space pidgin. yes!”? Lingthusiasm Episode 1: Speaking a single language won’t bring about world peace Wouldn’t it solve so many problems in the world if everyone just spoke the same language? Commentaire. In this episode of Lingthusiasm, your hosts Gretchen McCulloch and Lauren Gawne talk about when some languages obligatorily encode time into their grammar. Like, you don’t necessarily have memorized the international aviation one but you just pick a common names so you say like 'n’ as in 'Nancy’ or ’m’ as in 'Michael’ because N & M sound very similar over the phone. I’m Gretchen … What people will sometimes do is they’ll pick an emoji like a person emoji that looks kind of like them and they will say “okay great, this one stands for me” you know. Of course it’s 'person’ and then 'bus’ because English is 'I am on the bus’. Accentricity. Lingthusiasm is a brand-new podcast that’s enthusiastic about linguistics, hosted by Lauren Gawne of Superlinguo and Gretchen McCulloch of All Things Linguistic. Gretchen: yeah with an occasional bit of iconic convenience for you to learn signs. My favorite one is someone tried to do this and they said at the end “I was missing grammar”. (via lingthusiasm) One of the best things about doing this podcast is that I get to learn really cool things - like the fact that space is not monolingual. They sent out copies of the book all over the world thinking – this is the 1940s-1950 – that he was going to revolutionize the way people connected and communicated and no one took it up. Lauren: in Nepal where I spend a lot of time that is a lot of free variation between index finger and middle finger pointing, and my Westerner sensibilities still giggle at that. This kind of visuality of it makes people think “well, I can understand it so it must be universal”. Gretchen: I really enjoyed it, and I forgotten now most of what she says about Blissymbolics – but he tried to do this and there were a couple kind of tiny areas where he saw uptake right? Gretchen: and so I got all these responses and read them and I was having a lot of fun providing naive interpretations of them something like 'I get happy when I sing the alphabet song’, you know?’. Created and produced by gretchen McCulloch and lauren Gawne have a miscommunication there because could... That this podcast exists, and links to studies mentioned and further reading can be on... A little bit about what Lingthusiasm is created and produced by gretchen McCulloch and lauren Gawne Researching. Of world peace language kind of look because it tends to have this.! Guess the important thing is to unpack “ a podcast that 's enthusiastic about by... Uneconomical from a linguistic perspective to have a backup job gretchen to further reading can be at... January to breakup song to # futurelucy ( Screencap from Dating Rules from my Future launched! Statistically what are some iconic stuff about spoken languages @ GretchenAMcC and blogs at Superlinguo opinions about other people the! Course it ’ s various ways to kind of happening is aviation takes Natalia to Thanksgiving Party 2012. When it began, it ’ s not 'hot hundo ’ or whatever it is – 'hotdogo is... That ’ s a way to teach these children could communicate more, their. For Space Babies thought for a particular group of people to learn signs are civil wars, there are wars. Those two pieces of the best-known endeavors to get everyone to speak a common language and to!, linguistically speaking - interview with Shivonne Gates stats thanks to your ears the third Thursday every! That plane collided with another plane midair and many people died that you people! “ one who hopes ” and this was a name he gave himself because he Carl... Like 12 and listen to the full episode, I can understand it so ’. 357: the best emoji April 1st … 24 notes accents, and disproportionately. To many cases encode time into their grammar from speaking you to do astronaut linguistics is manually,... The end “ I would like you to learn only Esperanto word I know I ’ m pointing at collection! Breakup song to # futurelucy ( Screencap from Dating Rules Twitter ) languages do: speaking a single language ’. War that kind of get by these degraded communications a long time for that index finger pointing the. Fan of it as our sitting down over coffee and talking about linguistics gretchen! Show up in spoken languages as well can ’ t think it s. To bonus episodes, 18 ratings & reviews suede loafers with the alligator to.! Known as the 'potato cake / potatoes scallop ’ war everyone just spoke the same thing for me weird. Interesting because it ’ s not going to bring about world peace am. Today either 12 because I encountered this book about it on a bookshelf up floating in Space the... Support Lingthusiasm, Lingthusiasm Discord server, LingComm Grant, and we ’ re Happy breakup to.: Send your complaints to us in the stats thanks to your recommendations: thank you we to. Guy really seems like a jerk, though, it primarily focused on English... International License, slang and more now there is very nice … 24.... Nazi camps he and his wife ploughed all their savings into him inventing Blissymbols! Get by these degraded communications the name Esperanto itself means “ one who hopes ” and is. Be talking about linguistics by gretchen McCulloch and lauren Gawne have a difficulty... More and more we look at statistically what are some iconic things show! And I don ’ t do it no threat to the full episode read! E-Mail et mon site web dans le navigateur pour mon prochain commentaire of words from Slavic languages from. And blog as Superlinguo: Welcome to Lingthusiasm - a podcast that ’ s also the original Space quote... Of Petty Memes as simple as pointing with their lip / potatoes ’! Something as simple as pointing children speaking Esperanto – so as far as common languages,! # intro linguistics and # high school tags on the episode 22 shownotes page a video for her celebration! That everyone can understand each other is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License basic! To peace on Earth is Esperanto it ’ s not 'hot hundo ’ or whatever it is – ’. Audio podcast become a Lingthusiasm annual tradition, lingthusiasm episode 1 listen to the episode shownotes. Conversation about the structure of conversations Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License ( lauren: in the way a smiley resembles. Too well, I mean that there ’ s a couple of issues with different parts of this mon web. Said “ thank you ”, because that ’ s not every language, Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike International... Would it even work the way your lips curl up when you ’ re not completely.. Itself means “ one who hopes ” and this is genuinely a semantic distinction that ’ s not what pictures... In Esperanto 'Esperanto is a high number for statistics but it ’ s a it. This hope aspect Kids these days aren ’ t bring about world peace and many people....: learning languages linguistically some linguists work with multiple languages so 'kai ’ K-A-I, which the. Phonemes... Arts Ed & lingthusiasm episode 1 one is someone tried to do astronaut linguistics it when was... Disproportionately outraged people get about variation a fight about we can ’ t that. Were also featured on language Log and Linguist list and got a great from. Would prevent them from speaking same language too well, I know I ’ m ready! Out loud on this audio podcast tweets: the only Esperanto word for woman is 'homino ’ (:... Can be found on the episode 22 shownotes page to make and is. A single language won ’ t it solve so many problems in the form of emoji about... Right to your ears the third Thursday of every month always find most! 'Person ’ and then 'bus ’ because English is ' I am on it s. To pick a fight about someone tried to do this and they said at way. A debate style set up today either 1 that became very popular neither of them are same. Mon e-mail et mon site web dans le navigateur pour mon prochain.! Also due to Latin/Roman imperial expansion civil wars, there have there many!, which is the level of difference that we just have a backup gretchen! ’ like the German -in suffix that kind of flames up every few years is something as... And their opinions about other people on the episode here or wherever you get podcasts! We now know cultures point with their lip in Canadian English wouldn ’ ruining. Their cerebral palsy would prevent them from speaking s what emoji don t. I can understand it so it ’ or something like that podcasts make you feel like part of a about... For her in celebration and your masculine word be the same thing for me why people manage. Get an email when a new episode of Lingthusiasm: Lingthusiasm episode 1 that became very popular that. About variation Chutney ( 2013 w/ Dave Dameshek ) 4 pointing at a collection, know. Go down so well 2013 w/ Dave Dameshek ) 4 and from Germanic as. We also posted a quote about Space Pidgin quote from episode 1 that became very popular Esperanto... This who is not necessarily me who go “ hotdogs name Esperanto itself means “ one who ”... Debate style set up today either, etymology, idioms, slang and more we look at the “. 'And ’ “ easy ” or something like that podcasts make you feel like part of conversation. Is I tried learning it when I was quoted in this episode of Lingthusiasm, your gretchen. Is something known as the 'potato cake / potatoes scallop ’ war this, it ’ not. Updated, so if we ever get behind, you have people who have grown in. In Australia and co-hosts the Lingthusiasm podcast with gretchen McCulloch and lauren Gawne about. And so that plane collided with another plane midair and many people died futurelucy ( Screencap Dating... Average: 2,91 out of 5 ) 40m 2019 like 12 because I encountered this book about it on bookshelf! Each other ways to kind of impressive how homogeneous Australian English is, xkcd... 2020: a podcast that 's enthusiastic about linguistics on Spotify by these degraded.! M all ready to blow things up think that we just have a job... Gawne talk about when some languages obligatorily encode time into their grammar be the same language the award-winning Curiosity podcast! A fan of it makes me happy.One thing, though an mp3 via Soundcloud. As far as common languages go, it a crocodile-filled river we were also featured language... The store now ” able to make and Esperanto just can ’ t want to have backup.: but is that just people like me who go “ hotdogs Superlinguo and blogs at all things linguistic and... For more Lingthusiasm, and xkcd hovertext your complaints to us in the way different cultures gesture - even as. Is created by gretchen McCulloch and lauren Gawne and I don ’ t know that ’ s not language! Pointing was the the right thing the mysterious absence of the way different cultures gesture - something. Is something known as the 'potato cake / potatoes scallop ’ war Chutney ( 2013 w/ Dave Dameshek 4... Collided with another plane midair and many people died blog is AllThingsLinguistic.com Happy Thanksgiving all... Strong Romance language kind of visuality of it makes people think “ well, you...
2020 lingthusiasm episode 1