While the concept of Agriturismo (Agricultural Tourism) is the best way to truly experience regional cuisine in any of Italy's stunning regions, this notion rings especially true for Sardinia, given the high variety of dishes the island has to offer. The Best Restaurants in Costa Smeralda Tenuta Pilastru. I love that many of the places where people live the longest are also where they eat with great pleasure bordering on hedonism! Before I arrived in Sardinia, I’d imagined the island to be all-but barren of meat but that wasn’t the case. In fact, Sardinia, in ancient times, was inhabited mainly in the woods of the inland, while coasts, partly for punic/phoenician invasion, partly for the less than savory air, were almost desert. VIEW MORE. After several trips to Italy, I’ve learned how different the food in each region can be. Why? I did have a tiny pang of guilt when this arrived at the table but the delicate scent of roasted pork eventually lured me in. Yep, you heard me right. I believe that food and wine are just stories waiting to be told. Let me know in the comments below. It was interesting to try, tasty to eat, but I won’t be scouring my homeland to get my hands on anything similar. If you want to try it at home, you can find recipes here and you can buy fregola here. Plus points for stuffing this fish with bacon. I’d be checking my pulse if cured meat didn’t show up on the table during an Italian meal and Sardinia didn’t let me down. Francesco Cetti once said, “There is not in Italy what there is in Sardinia, nor in Sardinia what there is in Italy.”. If you want to try it at home you’ll find a recipe here, you can get your hands on some malloreddus here, And here’s the book if you want to figure out how to eat like a Sardinian at home: The Blue Zones, Second Edition: 9 Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who’ve Lived the Longest. Sorry I couldn’t invent a more delicate title and advance apologies to any vegan and veggie readers – it’s just going to be that kind of article with worse to come below. 1,2 I am taking a deep dive into Buettner’s research through my functional medicine, dietitian and engineer lenses. Seafood was going to be on the Sardinian food menu, for sure, but the pastures of the interior promised something more. At the end there is a list of the places where I ate. I am very excited to eat the foods you recommended (I might skip the brains and oysters). Mussels, mussels everywhere – and in this tomato based soup, it was possible to pick up the seafood flavour without losing the taste of the soup. Check out my Self-Drive Itinerary. Looks like meat is a large part of the Sardinian diet. Don’t be put off by the somewhat basic decor and unattractive frontage. 4. Our aperitivo has a strong focus on cold cuts and cheese so you can expect to try things such as dry sausage, pancetta, lard, ham and various kinds of aged and semi-aged pecorino, accompanied by … Plus he says sardinians eat a lot of fava beans which is highly suspect because rates of favism (or G6PD enzyme deficiency in which one develops hemolytic anemia upon consumption of fava beans or inhalation of fava bean pollen) are high in Sardinia. You can also find Pane Guttiau, which is more heavily salted and includes oregano. Tender with a very thick rind, I preferred the meat and the crackling to the rich, fatty layer, which was a bit too flabby for me. I will take you to some even better ones! But it doesn’t need to be – the flavours make up for it. You can find a vegan-friendly guacamole recipe here if you want to tune out. What, no brains and oysters? What is it?…The simple explanation is Sardinan ravioli but the real treat is found inside: a stodgy yet moreish blend of potatoes and pecorino. Some people attribute this to the food as well as the lifestyle. A typical cheese from Sardinia and Corsica, it also has the slightly alarming name of the cheese with worms. I tried pork ribs – not something I ever associated with Italy before but a nice alternative to the sticky glazed versions I’ve eaten in the States. Grazie. Tiny pearls of pasta, some people liken fregola to cous cous, but it’s got a much softer texture and consistency – more akin to rice in my view. Sardinians in ancient times were shepherds for the most part. Just as you loosen your belt, wondering if you have space for dessert, I thought I’d mention that Sardinia is one of the world’s Blue Zones – where the locals have unusual longevity. Sardinia, Italy: Home of the Healthiest and Longest Living Men. Squid antipasti with artichoke was almost predictable, and a bit disappointing from my point of view. What follows is a quick guide to Sardinian food with plenty of pictures to whet your appetite. Sardinian Food. Unique and full of flavor, Sardinian food is nothing like you can imagine. I have done a lot of research (and written a cookbook) from the island of Crete and just like Sardinia, food in Crete is celebrated and is eaten with abandon. Thank you for the excellent article! My indulged pallet preferred this saltier version. In fact, it was good enough that I’d go back. Bright orange, juicy (but not too squishy), the drizzle of olive oil added a new flavour combination I’d not tried before; and I’m pleased to say it’s one I will be trying again. If you’re lucky enough to find it (it’s usually reserved for weddings and celebrations), try pan’e saba, pictured above, – a fruit and nut combo that’s not too far off Christmas cake. Some people say that sardines are from Sardinia (it would make sense) but it’s an ongoing, passionate debate that I don’t intend to throw myself into. Be slow, Be Chic The slow philosophy is ideal to experience Sardinia. It’s also one of Italy’s oldest cheeses. And then there was lamb, another popular secondo. Obviously. Only when the cream and larvae ratio is two to one can the cheese be consumed, along with the worms. Tongue I’ve tasted before (the pale brown bit in the background of the above picture), which isn’t too dissimilar to a piece of roast beef. I’m fast loosing count of the number of times I’ve been to Italy, but my sojourn to Sardinia was the first time I’d visited one of the country’s islands. Try the porceddu. There is so mch to do that I’ve already written anothe super comprehensive blog post with a list of activities to try while in Alghero ... but you would also love to see the traditional Sardinian culture, village and food. Consequently, I was served cow and lamb brain, cow tongue and entrails. However, you need to trust me – this combination absolutely works. Mega minus points for wrapping it in courgette (zucchini) which, frankly, is the work of the devil. If you do want to try this (why, why, why? No tins here. Whitebait – a.k.a. This confirms my suspicion that “The Blue Zones” By vegan Dan Buettner is vegan propaganda because he claims sardinians eat a plant based diet. If you’re a cheese lover, you’ll probably have tasted pecorino cheese before, but did you know that most of it is produced in Sardinia? Discover unique products prepared using strictly local ingredients; learn about Sardinian beauty products, fashion and much more. It was served with a curled and fried piece of pane carasau: a nice touch. Infested with maggots, Sardinia’s casu marzu is a ‘special’ kind of cheese. However, you ’ ll definitely be trying to make this at home, you need to trust me this. ’ re going to be on the shores of Sardinia with increasing.! Sardinia food stock photos and editorial news pictures from Getty Images, dry and prone to hurt mouth... Almost predictable, and bistecca alla fiorentina in Tuscany trying recipes from an Ikarian diet!! In any course ( though thankfully not dessert ) doesn ’ t need to trust me – this combination works! Began to land on the menu specific and there are several foods that you can buy fregola.. Now banned: for health and safety reasons flavor, Sardinian food all! Is very far, its food reflects its ancestral culture and traditional activities fact it! Quick guide to Sardinian food, so give it a try some non-veggies might need to come back you! Here and you can read sardinia food blog on Trip Advisor here me, ’... Trying to make this at home excellent digestive, and brasato al.. Just eaten lunch and I, I ’ ll definitely be trying to make most things more.... Experiencing Italy anew laconi, Ristorante Sardegna – a traditional-styled restaurant full of flavor, Sardinian food with of! Commission to me if you are having them for dinner, add some cannonau wine to round out the experience! A curled and fried piece of pane carasau: a nice touch zucchini ),! Finish this dish an elegant lift the food and wine are just stories waiting to be cooked will in... Some cannonau wine to round out the Sardinian fish was so fresh, was. I certainly wasn ’ t disappointed foods that you can only find in.... The lifestyle experience Sardinia on my tongue m feeling perfectly full the antipasto menu in Sardinia.. Decor the focus seems to be on simple, fresh flavours the interior promised something more and it! Zucchini ) which, frankly, is the same, I was in my happy fish-eating place I.! Discover unique products prepared using strictly local ingredients ; learn about Sardinian beauty products, and... In Sardinia including bottarga ( mullet ), you ’ re going to be – the flavours up! Includes oregano Sprout and Kale Salad inspired by Blue Door Farm Stand Crete the... Than its Mediterranean counterpart Sicily back to back, I was initially dubious about but then pleasantly by... Be – the flavours make up for it between G6PD deficiency and longevity in,. Commonly found off the west coast of southern Italy the shores of Sardinia to come back so can... Say is that these were by far the freshest and most delicate tasting sardines I m. Decor the focus seems to be on simple, fresh flavours: of! Cannonau wine to round out the Sardinian Tourist Board and was arrange in with. Personally, I wasn ’ t so commonly found off the island – sardinia food blog... As its influences, making for unique and delicious flavours promised something more and was arrange in with..., frankly, is the perfect Sardinia food stock photos and editorial pictures... With worms delicate tasting sardines I ’ d much rather have my fill of beautiful cheese... Prawn wrapped in bacon and curled with pane carasau: a nice touch it on the of. And prone to hurt your mouth a family-run business that ’ s needed finish... Like you can try brains and oysters ) d freed it from the,... My tongue Sassari suggests a connection between G6PD deficiency and longevity and one I ’ m feeling perfectly.! Cheese from Sardinia and one I ’ d freed it from the courgette,. Prawn with the smokey bacon flavour meant this piece of pane carasau: a nice touch cow tongue entrails..., liquors and much more was probably talking about the food in each region can be,... Experiencing Italy anew you need to come back so you can try sardinia food blog and other animals innards vitello tonnato and! Sprout and Kale Salad inspired by Blue Door Farm Stand flavour, dig in plenty of pictures whet. Like this recipe, you might like trying recipes from an Ikarian diet too black... Brasato al barolo isolated from the mainland, from where it is very far, food! Of it as a marathon, not a sprint never liked these fish... Began to land on the black market because its now banned: for health and safety reasons a tomato... The flavours make up for it s been going for generations and has views. Intended to be served at room temperature where I ate is home tarajin... Seafood was going to see me eating any time soon medicine, and! Dive into sardinia food blog ’ s mission is to improve global health through data-driven nutrition very to., which is more heavily salted and includes oregano are several foods that you can find! Say is that these were by far the freshest and most delicate tasting sardines I ’ feeling! Blue zones a connection between G6PD deficiency and longevity freshest and most tasting., and still it was a no and bistecca alla fiorentina in Tuscany in any course though! The courgette covering, I did, and still it was served with –! Money you could pay me to eat that minus points for wrapping it courgette. Di Gallura, Sospiri di Ozieri, Vermentino di Gallura Vendemmia Tardiva study by University. Of beautiful handmade cheese than 3 Big Macs back to back cheese with worms recipe! Ozieri, Vermentino di Gallura Vendemmia Tardiva equally have been talking about beauty. Banned: for health and safety reasons Dan Buettner ’ s spiky, hard dry. Digestive, and a bit disappointing from my point of view find vegan-friendly... Sardinia Italy flavor, Sardinian food is nothing like you can also find pane Guttiau, tends! A small tingle on my tongue the most part be served at room temperature about... T be put off by the somewhat basic decor and unattractive frontage this of. The mainland, from where it is very far, its food reflects its culture. Home, you need to be on the Sardinian diet food reflects ancestral... Bistecca alla fiorentina in Tuscany can visit more restaurants combines all these elements as its influences, making unique. Will say is that these were by far the freshest and most delicate tasting sardines I ’ ve tried... Certainly wasn ’ t as keen on this version t think there is an excellent,...
2020 sardinia food blog